Steve Irwin

by Liz from Alabama

“I put my life on the line to save animals”
Steve with a koala. (www.biography.com)
Steve with a koala. (www.biography.com)

At age five Steve Irwin's father gave him a python as a gift. This gift, that Steve greatly loved and cared for, was one of the things that inspired him to protect and save animals. At a young age, Steve became passionate about nature. His goal required an extreme amount of dedication that only a select few possess. He strived to teach the world the importance of respecting and protecting wildlife. His perseverance and the success of his lifetime goal has made him my hero.

Steve Irwin was raised in a zoo-like environment. He was constantly surrounded by wildlife. He, with the help of his father, taught himself how to understand and handle animals. When he got older, he did a variety of wildlife documentaries and television shows. His most famous series was The Crocodile Hunter. The show was aired in over 200 countries at the peak in its popularity. Steve, with his wife, started the Australian Zoo. Irwin died in 2006 while filming an episode of The Crocodile Hunter, because of a stingray freak-accident in the Barrier Reef.

<a href=http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1055010925464_2003/06/09/10e_Croc,0.jpg>A wombat and Steve</a>
A wombat and Steve

I see Steve Irwin as my hero because of what he accomplished in his lifetime. Irwin once said, “I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message.” He taught almost everyone he encountered how to treat animals with respect. He was extremely dedicated to his job. Many people thought of what he accomplished as pointless, but I think he changed the world's view on animals and nature for the better. It wasn’t just that he showed everyone how amazing wildlife was; it was how enthusiastic he was about his mission. He shows many characteristics of a true hero.

Steve Irwin taught the world how to respect and care for the wildlife. Because of that, he is my hero. The day he died his wife Terry said, “ The wildlife has lost their greatest champion.”

Australia Zoo - This is the website for the zoo steve created.
Animal Planet - The channel that his show The Crocodile Hunter aired on.
Wikipedia - An article about Steve's life.