Sunny Brar

by Gagan from Surrey, British Columbia

What makes a person a hero? It's not necessary for a person to have to save one's life to be a hero. A hero can be a person who has heroic qualities or one simply admired for his brave deeds and nobles qualities. My hero isn't a famous celebrity, musician nor athlete. He isn't a police officer, soldier, or firefighter either. My hero is a real person. He is an individual who brightens the world everyday with his optimistic attitude and positive outlook on life; bringing the joyful world of music to young lives while continuing to offer a hand of support to anyone who needs one. He uses challenges as an opportunity to grow and become a stronger person because of them. There is no doubt in my mind this everyday hero is a great role model to others and myself. My hero is my science teacher, Sunny :)

There are heroes and heroines, national and local. Some of them are born, others are made. Many are still living while many others have long been gone. My hero isn't from a comic book or a celebrity. As weird as it sounds, my science teacher is my hero. I've known him for about a year and a half now and ever since I've met him, he has inspired me. To describe Sunny, he is an idol to tons, a courageous person, a great athlete, really wise, a motivator, and a true Sikh. Mr. Brar is quite the teacher. In class, we joke around here and there but when it comes to paying attention, he means it. After being in his class for a few months, I realized that what I took for "strictness" was actually concern for our well being. By "our", I mean the entire class. Mr. Brar comes across as very stern and rather "hard-core" at times. But I've learned that he genuinely cares about all of his students and wants them to do their best. I know he is trying to prepare us for the future and what lies ahead.

Now lets talk about why he's my hero. Well, Mr. Brar has been a wonderful influence so far. For some reason, he always knows what to say and how to cheer a person up. He's not just a science teacher. He is a real estate agent as well. Although, he basically acts like a counselor. It doesn't matter what problem or issue you have. All you have to do is ask Mr. Brar for help and you're in good hands. There's something about Mr. Brar that no other teacher has. He's like an allusion. When you see his class, its probably the messiest class in the whole school. But in the end, Mr. Brar is somehow organized.

Unlike a lot of other girls, I love playing all sorts of sports. Mr. Brar is the reason we came first place in basketball and soccer in Gvisaa. Us, girls, obviously wanted to win but it was only possible because of Mr. Brar. He was more determined than  we were. He believed in us and that's what I love about him. It doesn't matter how much you want to win or not, 'its all about believing", says Sunny. From that day on, that was my motto, believing. Another reason Mr. Brar is different from others is that other teachers have always remained teachers but Mr. Brar is like a brother to me. He truly cares for us and wants the best for us.

In conclusion I would like to say that when you choose a hero and finalize that you want to be like him/her, choose wisely. Do not choose someone just because they're rich or famous. Choose someone you know you will be successful after following. I chose Mr. Brar as my hero because he has heroic qualities such as he is determined, confident, brave, and courageous.