Sitting Bull

by Caden from Roseville

What white women, however lonely, was ever captive or insulted by me? Yet they say I am a bad Indian.
sitting Bull in the circus  show (www.standingrockbyway.org (standing rock national park))
sitting Bull in the circus show (www.standingrockbyway.org (standing rock national park))

My Hero is Sitting Bull he is one of the most famous Indians of the Sioux tribe and also one of the most famous Indians of all time. He was a warrior and a leader and a smart man. At age ten Sitting Bull killed his first adult Buffalo earning the name Sitting Bull. His father prepared him to become a great leader and a fierce warrior in battle. Sitting Bull won a few battles with other rival tribes but Sitting Bulls biggest victory was the battle of Little Big Horn, also known as Custer's last stand. Sitting Bull, the Sioux tribe, the Arapaho and the Cheyenne tribe all took battle at Little Big Horn fighting the U.S. Cavalry. This battle took place in the year of 1876. Sitting Bull and his men killed Custer's cavalry and Custer himself in an hour. This was known as one of the worst defeats that the U.S. Army had ever taken, and known as one of Sitting Bull's greatest victories.

Sitting Bull was the Chief of the Sioux tribe. He was friends with Crazy Horse, another legendary leader of the Lakota tribe and a leader. Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse were great friends and also great leaders. They won many battles on the great plains, where the Buffalo ran, including the great battle of Little Big Horn, defeating General Custer's cavalry. Sitting Bull stood up for his people, he was always the leader of his tribe and he also said "he was the last one to lower his gun". When the white men came onto the great plains and the Sioux tribe, Sitting Bull was always the first one to have his arrows pointed at them ready for war. And even though most Indians didn't want to fight for their land and wanted to make contracts with the white men, Sitting Bull never allowed this to happen. He always sent a fleet off to battle the white invaders.

sitting bull and custers war (www.slideshow.net (slideshare.net))

"They claim this mother of ours, the Earth, for their own use, and fence their neighbors away from her, and deface her with their buildings and their refuse." Sitting Bull spent most of his life trying to defend and protect his land and his people. At age fourteen he joined his first war party and got the reputation of being a brave warrior. When he was chosen to be a leader, he began fighting against the US government. His first battle against the US government was in 1863. In 1864 he led the Battle of Killdeer Mountain and in 1865 he led an attack on a new US Fort called Fort Rice that was in North Dakota. The fighting became worse when gold was discovered in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The Black Hills were considered sacred land to the Indians but the government saw it as their land, not the Indians'. Sitting Bull was a hero to his people because he wouldn't stop trying to defend his people's land.

Sitting Bull preparing for war (sittingbullfacts.com (sittingbullfacts.com))

Sitting Bull had to flee with his people to Canada in 1877. He was protecting his people from the US government who doubled the number of soldiers sent to fight against him. The US government sent a bigger army to fight Sitting Bull and his people because as a leader his men killed so many US soldiers, and he won so many battles like the Battle of Little of Bighorn. Sitting Bull knew that if he stayed in the Dakota Territories he would be arrested and killed, so he took his people and left. When Sitting Bull came back to the Dakota Territories he was arrested until he he joined Bill Cody's Wild West Show in 1885. He left the Wild West Show and said "I would rather die an Indian than live as a white man." After Sitting Bull came home, he joined the Ghost Dance ceremony which was supposed to clear the land of the white man. The US government arrested him for this because they worried that he would start more battles. When they went to arrest him, a fight started and he was shot in the head and killed. Sitting Bull had said, "If we must die, we die defending our rights." Sitting Bull was a hero because that is what he did, he died defending his people and his land.

Sitting Bull was important because he showed people how to stand up for themselves against the US government. The things Sitting Bull did and the way he lived his life are an inspiration to me because I want to be able to stand up for what is right. He was a brave man because he fought for what he believed in and for his people, even though he knew that it would be a losing battle. In my life I would want to be able to do what is right even if it is hard to do.

Sitting Bull - The entire story of Sitting Bull's life
Sitting Bull facts.com - Sitting Bulls life and more
Sitting Bull - Sitting Bull