Suzanne Collins

by Gracie from Leawood

"The bird, the pin, the song, the berries, the cracker, the dress that burst into flames. I am the mockingjay. The one that survived despite the Capitol's plans. The symbol of the rebellion."

She’s an influential person, a great role model, and an amazing writer. These are all great ways to describe my hero Suzanne Collins. I love the way she makes the words jump off of the page. Her writing makes me feel as if I’m at the reaping or in The Hunger Games itself. I truly enjoy the characters she comes up with. She goes right down to the last details of everything in her magnificent books.

When I picked up one of her books for the first time, I have to admit I didn’t read it right away. I put it in my backpack, left the library, and it wasn’t until four days later that I picked up the book again. I sat down ready to read for about an hour, that didn’t go as planned. Instead, I read for 8 hours straight. It wasn’t until 2:00am that I was finally done. Her book was a big page-turner. I couldn’t help myself. I kept thinking, just read until you get to the next chapter. You can finish tomorrow! But it was so intriguing that I just couldn’t put that book down.

In total I have read The Hunger Games, and Catching Fire about 13 times each. Every time I get a new look at something I hadn’t noticed before. It’s almost as if she intends for you to read it multiple times, because she makes it so that you get a brand new piece of information every time!

She has inspired me to become a writer. I love to think up of new concepts to write about. The words almost flow out of my pen when I write them down. Each of her books pushes me to write more. It’s not only me either. She inspires people all over the world to write. My friends say it makes them want to sit down and write a book! I know I’m influenced by her, her books make me want to write more and more!

Suzanne Collins is the author of the award-winning books The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay. She has won so many awards including the #1 New York Times Bestsellers, USA Today Bestsellers, Wall Street Journal Bestsellers, and so many more. She has written 8 books in all, but I believe The Hunger Games series brought her to the top charts.

If anyone would come up to me, and ask “Who’s your favorite author?” It would only take me one second to quickly reply “Suzanne Collins.” I suggest all of her books to everyone. They are not only amazing, but they leave you with something to ponder about until her next book comes out. These are the best books ever! The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins says, "I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever." I want to do that when I read her incredible books!