Shirin Ebadi

by Alexis from San Diego

(http://www.wpclipart.com/famous/human_rights/Shirin_Ebadi.png.html ())

"A hero is somebody who is selfless, who is generous in spirit, who just tries to give back as much as possible and help people. A hero to me is someone who saves people and who really deeply cares." -Debi Mazar. . Shirin Ebadi is a caring independent woman who is willing to do whatever it takes to prove what's right. Shirin Ebadi is a deserving hero because she has leadership, selflessness and bravery.

Shirin was born on June 21, 1947 in the city of Hamadan in central western Iran. She was raised in an educated, cultured Muslim family filled with love. Her father, who passed away in 1993, was Mohammed Ali Ebadi one of the first lecturers in a commercial law. She had two sisters, a brother, and a mother who dedicated all of her time to their early life. Shirin is best known for being the first Muslim to receive the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003. Shirin obtained a license to practice as an attorney in 1992. In 1994, she founded the Society for Protecting the Right of the Children. Shirin's contributions to the causes of humans rights, peace, justice, and democracy give her the distinction of being one of the most prominent and resolute voices of justice and human rights in Iran and baryon. She is an Iranian lawyer, advocate, teacher, and writer.

Leadership is one quality that Ebadi possess. She has natural leadership qualities and without thinking twice stands up for what she believes in. She is confident in her answers and does what right for her peers. "In 1992 Ebadi obtained a license to practice as an attorney, and she soon emerged as the leading figure in the Iranian human rights movement. In 1994, along with other women, Ebadi founded the Society for Protecting the Rights of the Child, which has lobbied parliament to introduce legal reforms in line with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child." (Mir-hosseini). In the dictionary a leader is "The person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country." Shirin Ebadi is defined as someone people can trust to follow and know they will do whatever it takes to make things right. Ebadi has started organizations, written books, and stood up for other who cannot stand up for themselves. Leadership is a trait every hero should have. When Robert Siegel interviewed Shirin, she shows her leadership traits based on her answers. "SIEGEL: Our general impression here of what has happened in Iran is that a reform minded president, Khatami, was succeeded in office by a very hotheaded president, Ahmadinejad. It would seem that issues such as yours, human rights, are on the decline in Iran rather than ascendant. Is that correct or is that incorrect impression? MS. EBADI: Yes, the status of human rights has not improved after Khatami's reign. SIEGEL: Has it declined? MS. EBADI: in some aspects, yes. SIEGEL: in which aspects has it gotten worse? MS. EBADI: In censorship and in freedom of expression." (EBSOCOhost) Shirin has no hesitation for the points she makes and gets straight to the idea. Shirin doesn't beat behind the bush and isn't in denial. She knows what is to be done and intends to do so for the citizens of Iran. Shirin Ebadi is not afraid to stand up and show her true colors of what she believes in. Shirin is a leader, and every hero should have this characteristic.

(http://www.brenthollandshow.com/Archives/Brent_Holland_Show_Archives.html ())

Selflessness is another trait Ebadi possess. When you want to take a stand and be a leader, being selfish won't get you far. Ebadi cares for others and people trust her because of it. "She has defended many victims of human rights violations. In 1998, she was a defense lawyer for the families of the victims of the political assassinations of writers and intellectuals by rouge elements of the ministry of Intelligence." (SIEGEL) As a hero, your top priority should be to help others, not yourself. Shirin Ebadi does an amazing job in pursuing this characteristic. She looks after others as if they were her own family. No matter what the consequences are, she defends them. She cares more for other's than herself. Shirin Ebadi was a strong, brave and independent woman, who is willing to fight and care for you. In another interview from Robert Siegel, Shirin proves that she is selflessness. "SIEGEL: you have remained in Iran throughout all these years, through the time when you were enthusiastic about the revolution, and the time when it was clearly a disaster for you and your family and your clients. Why do you, why did you decide to stay? Why not Los Angeles instead? Why not join so many other Iranians who came to the United States? MS. EBADI: the answer is very simple. I'm an Iranian. I belong in Iran so I have to be in Iran. I want to give you an example here. If your mother becomes sick, will you leave her on the street, or will you try to get her some treatment? Iran needs treatment at this time and the young people, young educated people, must go back to Iran and build Iran." (EBSCOhost) I put myself into Shirin Ebadi's position. She has been jailed, talked down to, and discriminated. Yet, she decides to stay in this country who does all of this to her. Why, Because Shirin Ebadi is selflessness. She cares more about her country then she does for herself. She is determined to change the rights of women and children and can only do this if she stays. Shirin Ebadi is risking her like to help others. Shirin is always thinking about the bigger picture and how your actions will affect a whole.

Bravery is one of the most powerful and hard trait to carry and Shirin Ebadi has mastered it. You can be a natural born leader and be selflessness, but if you are not brave enough to speak out for yourself and more importantly for those who stand behind you, then you will soon fail. Shirin is brave, and is willing to risk anything for what's right. "Ebadi's vocal defense of human rights has antagonized the Iranian judiciary, who arrested her in June 2000. She was accused of producing and disturbing a videocassette that allegedly "disturbs public opinion" and implicated certain senior officials in atrocities against reformist personalities and organizations. She was tried in closed court, and sentenced to a suspended sentence and banned from practicing law, but this sentence was overturned in a court of appeal. (Mir-hosseini) Shirin Ebadi is one of the most heroic and brave human beings I have heard of. While helping others and doing what's best, there comes repercussions. And she knows this. Someone who is truly brave knows the consequences of their actions but chooses to pursue them anyway. With Ebadi, what she chose got her arrested. And while she cares, I believe she knew what she was getting herself into but jumped headfirst anyways. In this interview, she proves to her peers and to herself that she is brave. "SIEGEL: when Americans hear the president of Iran say we want a nuclear program, and in another context, Israel should be wiped off the map, many Americans think, this is dangerous. This could be the beginning of Armageddon in the entire Middle East because the Israelis would fire back at Iran if they were attacked. Should we believe it? Should we take that seriously when the president of Iran speaks that way? MS EBADI: The government of Iran does not have the intentions of attacking Israel, and even if it does have the intention, it does not have the ability to do so." (EBSCOhost) Shirin Ebadi is not only brave but is confident. When Siegel asked about the nuclear program in Israel, she was confident in her answer. She knew what she was saying was true and didn't doubt herself. It takes a lot of bravery to be a women speaking out for others of a lower class in a country where women are considered secondary men. She risks her safety every day but is brave to say "I don't care" and move on.

All in All, Shirin Ebadi is a deserving hero because she is a leader, is selflessness, and is brave. She cares for everyone and does whatever is right. Shirin Ebadi isn't afraid to show who she is and what she believes in, and in the long run is worth it all. I look up to Shirin as not only a hero, but a role model and soon to become just like her one day.