Steve Fossett

by Leilani from San Diego

What ultimately allows society and its individuals to reach their goals lies within the determination they put in achieving their goals. In the beginning, Steve Fossett knew that it's still okay to achieve your goal, even when there are many obstacles blocking you from it. Steve was born April 22, 1944 in Jackson, TN. He is the son of a factory manager who married Peggy Viehland, 1968. As a youngster, he was diagnosed with asthma. He tried outdoor activities more often, then slowly built up a passion for it throughout his college years. Fossett decided to experience a better opportunity- a situation or condition favorable for attainment of a goal for himself. Through his teens, he achieved the highest rank in the scouts. He proceeded to go hiking often with his dad and became a Boy Scout during that time. As Fossett added more challenges to achieving his goals, he finally wanted to try something new, something fascinating to himself. Steve Fossett was born on 1944 in California and became a stockbroker in Chicago, his home base for many years. During his young childhood, an inspiration struck his mind creating different types of undertaking ventures that took place in the great outdoors. What inspired him to pursue his dreams persisted his own experiences in the outdoors- a passion he soon realized after he diagnosed with asthma. As Fossett added more challenges to achieving his goals, he finally wanted to try something new, fascinating to himself. The following year he began his highly publicized effort to become the first person to balloon around the world alone. "The initial attempt, however, ended after three days, and a series of subsequent efforts also failed."(Steve Fossett). He was determined to become the first person to balloon around the world alone but his plan yet, still failed even when he knew there would be many obstacles stopping him. He still continued attempting these challenges until he got to it.

Crowds look for Fossett ((BBC News) (Carl Lens))

Fossett displays bravery and that he is courageous because he showed that he was in potential danger of safety but he still continued these risky/unexpected adventures. "A line of thunderstorms rose in his path across the South Pacific. He tried to rise over them, but at nearly 30,000 feet, a violent downdraft smashed into his balloon, the Solo Spirit. Severely damaged, it sank rapidly toward the sea five and half miles below. Fossett crashed into the ocean 500 miles east of Australia. The balloon's propane burners started a fire in the balloon's capsule, but somehow he managed to fight his way out through the capsule's submerged hatch, dragging a life raft and emergency radio beacon with him."(Getting Closer). Fossett displays that he is courageous during this situation because he proves that he would risk his life to travel in that balloon. Him being one of the first balloonists, is very influential, but at the same time he also achieved his dream with drastic measures. He set many world records, thus showing that he probably achieved many of his dreams on the way. "When Fossett set his 1995 distance record for his flight from Seoul, Korea, across the Pacific, also the first solo flight recorded for that trip, he had planned on landing in San Francisco. However, the winds did not cooperate and he landed in Mendam, Saskatchewan." (Steve Fossett). Fossett still continued to venture around the world solo even when there were obstacles trying to stop him. For example, the winds in Mendham discontinuing his flight. For Fossett to have continued his balloonist ventures, despite the obstacles and risks that laid ahead greatly emphasized the bravery and determination that lies within himself.

For Fossett to have continued his balloonist ventures, despite the obstacles and risks that lay ahead, greatly emphasized the bravery and determination that lies within him. Ultimately, Fossett inspires others to pursue their dreams with great bravery and determination. By doing so, his actions end up allowing others to truly achieve their goal in life as well.

Steve Fossett - September 3, 2007, Fossett went missing after taking off to Nevada