Sakata Gintoki

by Jason from Fresno

"Life is like a mountain, you can say you have reached the top but only after climbing back down." - Sakata Gintoki
Sakata Gintoki  (http://myhero.com/go/create/createMenu.asp?heroid=91384 ())
Sakata Gintoki (http://myhero.com/go/create/createMenu.asp?heroid=91384 ())

Gintoki is a freelancer and former samurai that lives in the Amanto Era, which are aliens that have invaded Earth after the Joi War, and took over Edo and the shogunate power which had made the rule of disbanding the samurai law, making them powerless against the Amanto. When he was a child, he was picked up by Shoyo Yoshida after he arrived to a battle where he heard about a little demon eating corpses. To his surprise, he found Gintoki eating a rice ball holding a katana. Gintoki,being cautious, pulled out a katana from a corpse to defend himself which made Yoshida realizing that Gintoki was scavenging from corpses to survive. Yoshida, being impressed,told him that " A sword swung in self-defense while fearing others should be thrown away." Yoshida threw his katana to Gintoki saying that if he wanted to learn how to use it, he should follow him. Gintoki being drawn to Shoyo, followed him. Under the teachings of Yoshida, he learned the way of the samurai with his friends Takasugi Shinsuke and Katsura Kotarou. When the Kansei Purge happened, Yoshida was arrested under the order of Tokugawa Shada Shada and his dojo was burned down while Gintoki was pined down, watching his master being taken away. This event had caused Gintoki, Shinsuke, and Katsura to join in the Joui Patriots, which were samurais that rebelled against the Amanto Rule. During the War, Gintoki was nicknamed the Shiroyasha (White Demon) by the Amanto and companions for his great strength and white/silver appearance. After the War, Gintoki had disappeared. He was then later found by Otose, who came to visit her husband's grave. He had made a promise to Otose to protect her in exchange for the food he took from her husband's grave. After being found by Otose, Gintoki created the Yorozuya (Odd Jobs), which is his new job where he had met Shinpachi, Kagura, and Sadaharu.

Gintoki is a funny guy that often makes dirty jokes towards the people he talks to. He knows that a loving family is all someone needs and he is very protective towards his friends because of that he didn't want to lose any more, being influenced by the Joui War that many of his comrades had fallen in battle. He is very lazy and unmotivated and would often read shonen jump in Yorozuya with Kagura and Sadaharu. He is very childish due to that he believes to be a boy in a man's body in which he eats a lot of sweets and often drink strawberry milk. Due to his lack of responsibility, he is often poor and runs away when Otose comes for his rent, yet he would try to save money and give it to Otose but would sometimes gamble it all away. However, he is still dedicated to getting the work done and pay Otose. He would act cowardly and run from danger while leaving his friends, just to be funny, yet he is commited to protecting his friends from danger when it is serious and would risk his life to protect them.

Gintoki is my Hero because he is similar to me. A lot of people rely on him when they needed him. He is very funny and fun to be with. He shows a lot of caring towards his friends. He loves to joke around a lot because laughing is very good for a person. I like the courage that he displays because he believes in a strong will to protect others, especially his friends. He understands what was importance of friendship and family because he grew up not having any til later on and losing them to the war. He is sometimes philosophical due to that he knows things from his past experiences.