Susan Goldberg

by Tres from Mission Viejo

"I believe in the power of science, exploration and storytelling to change the world."
Susan Goldberg
Susan Goldberg

Imagine traveling the world reporting the latest news and meeting some of the most inspirational people alive on Earth. I discovered Susan Goldberg when I was looking for someone to do my personal career hero on in my College and Career Planning class. I choose Susan Goldberg as my career hero because she gets to hear and write about other people's amazing stories and experiences. I want to start preparing for a career in writing by getting serious in the English classes I attend at Capistrano Valley High School in Mission Viejo, California and maybe join the school newspaper as well.

As a journalist, you need to be able to write and present news in an honest and unbiased way. You also need to be able to comfortably research and interview others. You can attend journalism schools to acquire the information needed to succeed in this job. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook website, you can make an average of $47,050 yearly. I would also look into other careers similar to journalism because you don't make much money as a journalist if you are looking to support a family.

"In the article five qualities editors seek in journalists, David Brewer says, Curiosity, critical thinking and a hunger for news", are essential for a journalist. To also be successful you also need to take the right classes. These may involve photojournalism, English composition, and media law or media ethics. Because Susan Goldberg took all the right classes at Michigan State University, she received the right training and knowledge to get her started on her journey to becoming the first female Director of Editing at National Geographic.

On the job
On the job

Susan Goldberg has spent many years as journalist researching, reporting and delivering news to readers of her work for many years now. Since she started her job at National Geographic in April 2014, Goldberg has pushed Nat Geo to winning two National Magazine awards and the George Polk Award for magazine reporting. In March 2015, she received Exceptional Woman in Publishing Award from Exceptional Women in Publishing (EWIP). It is clear that Goldberg works her hardest to create the best product she could possibly produce.

I will strive to reach my goal of becoming a journalist by being a part of my high schools newspaper club and graduate from a top tier writing program. I will start at a local company screen writing or doing any jobs that are needed to be done. As I gain more experience, I will work my way up taking more responsibilities and move to bigger more well known companies where I have a chance to eventually reach my goal. I won't make much money to begin but will live simply as a young adult. Hopefully, if I continue to work hard, I will end up just as my career hero did. Once I am successful, I would also choose to work at National Geographic.