Stephen Hawking

by Elizabeth from Dublin

A hero is someone who inspires other people to do great things. A hero is someone who tries to be the best that they can be. A hero is someone who keeps trying, no matter what. My hero, Stephen Hawking, has all these characteristics.

Stephen Hawking inspires so many people, by his theory of black holes and the universe. He is a brilliant cosmologist/physicist and has set off to find the secrets of the universe. Stephen wanted to get an idea of how the universe began. He is the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University, once held by Isaac Newton. Stephen showed the impossible was possible.

Stephen Hawking was determined all his life. He learns more and more, which makes him wiser and greater. He has traveled the world solving problems of the universe. Stephen has had many struggles throughout his life, each day could be his last. In Stephen's words: "I have developed a desire to make the most of each and every minute." He has always wondered how things worked. He was determined to win, to be the best he can. Stephen was taught to think big.

There are many times when Stephen Hawking was brave and fought through many hard times. Stephen has Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). In present day, he communicates using a single cheek muscle with a speech device. He was diagnosed when he was 21, in 1963. At the time, the doctors thought he would only have 2 years to live. Stephen is now 73. Throughout the years ALS was taking over his body. Soon, Stephen had to get a wheelchair because he was no longer able to walk.

Stephen Hawking is inspiring. Stephen Hawking is the best he can be. Stephen Hawking never gives up. Stephen Hawking is my hero, thank you for reading!