Stephen Hawking

by Juan Jose from Cali, Colombia

"My goal is simple. It is complete understanding of the universe, why it as it is and why it exists as all." — Stephen Hawking.

I am going to describe a very intelligent person nowadays which I admire because of his strength and ability despite the conditions he lives in. This person’s name is Stephen Hawking and due to some problems he is in a wheelchair. In this text I am going to explain why he is my hero, why he chose the career he has and describe some of his life’s aspects since his childhood.

Stephen Hawking is my hero. He has won many awards. Like the one on August 12 which is the medal of freedom and the highest civilian honor on the United States. He has done many things to science, especially in the cosmology area which has inspired lots of other people. He has done speeches like the one done at the NASA anniversary. There he explained why humans have the desire of exploring the space. I also consider him as a true hero because he has a huge understanding of many things which happen in our world, like not only he knows about cosmology but also he is a physicist and has also won awards in this area. I think it is amazing how much this guy knows.

Now let’s describe his early years and how these might decide what he was going to do in the future. Stephen was born on January 8 of 1942 and was the son of Dr. Frank Hawking, a biologist, and his mother had the name of Isobel Hawking. His family was composed of his two younger sisters, and an adopted kid who was named Edward. The family moved from North London due to war. They finally decided to live in Oxford, hoping it was a better place for Stephen´s birth. He changed from school and due to experience got fascinated with his mathematics’ teacher. He was named Dikran Tahta and I think he represented a lot for him and his learnings.

Stephen Hawking did many things in his life. I admire him a lot and think he is a strong person because he didn’t care much about his illness. He continued learning and nowadays he has a great knowledge. He found something to do and didn’t stop because of the problem he had. That takes a lot of strength. Stephen is now retired from some of his posts but still teaches others some of the knowledge he has about cosmology, mathematics, and other areas.