Steve Irwin

by Liz from Selden

Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building.
Steve Irwin
Steve Irwin

A hero to me is someone who believes in what they do to save animals and nature around us to make Earth beautiful. That’s why I picked Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter, for My Hero. He did dangerous things to educate people about animal conservation and many facts that I also learned from him. Steve made it fun to watch educated programs that all animals lovers in the world watched. He had many different words because he was born in Australia. My favorite words he used to say were “crikey” and “Danger, danger”.

Steve at work
Steve at work

Stephen Robert Irwin (Steve Irwin) was born to Lyn and Bob Irwin in Victoria, Australia in February of 1962. Bob Irwin was always interested in reptiles so, he moved his family to Queensland in 1970 to start a small reptile exhibit at Beerwah on the Sunshine Coast. It became a family business until 1991 when Bob and Lyn retired, giving the management to their son, Steve. Steve grew close to the animals and got more and more like his father. For his 6th birthday he got a 12ft python.

Steve and Family
Steve and Family

Steve met Terri from America and got married after dating. They had two babies, Bindi Sue Irwin born July 24, 1998 and Robert Clarence "Bob" Irwin born December 1, 2003. Steve was as enthusiastic about his family as he was about his work. He described his daughter Bindi as "the reason he was put on the Earth." His wife said, "The only thing that could ever keep him away from the animals he loves are the people he loves even more."

Steve Irwin was such a good person to people and animals alike. Steve was filming a documentary on sea lions off the coast of Mexico's Baja California Peninsula when he heard on his boat's radio that two scuba divers were reported missing where he was filming. He searched for two days until he finally saw a man sitting on a rock in the middle of the ocean. He saved his life but sadly the other died shortly before they found them. That was an act of bravery, strength and love, helping in most things.

Bindi, Steve’s daughter, made an essay on her father. She wrote,”My Daddy was my hero – he was always there for me when I needed him. He listened to me and taught me so many things, but most of all he was fun. I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did. He built a hospital to help animals and he bought lots of land to give animals a safe place to live. He took me and my brother and my Mum with him all the time. We filmed together, caught crocodiles together and loved being in the bush together. I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end. I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did. I have the best Daddy in the whole world and I will miss him every day. When I see a crocodile I will always think of him and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals. Daddy made this place his whole life and now it’s our turn to help Daddy.”

Steve Irwin's daughter Bindi
- Bindi is acting much like her father talking about bison!
Steve Irwin - go to the bottom and click on the phrases and you'll hear him say them!