Stephen King

by Koustav from Buffalo

"The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in your head to no more than living size when they are brought out." Stephen King was one of the greatest horror-fiction & non-fiction book writers of all time. He was such a good writer that six of his books were on the bestsellers list; because of that, he made a world record. You may think, "So what, big deal." If you think that, you may regret that thought because Stephen King is more than just a writer, he is one of the of the best writers of the twentieth century.

Stephen King was not an ordinary writer. He donated his time when he was in need of money. Stephen is a hero to many people because he wrote books for his horror loving fans. He is a hero because when he got run over by a drunk driver, he wrote as much as he could even when it hurt his body. Since Stephen hated war, he went at his old job to petition for no war. He is a hero because you learn from him to never give up. Since he never gave up, he earned more than a million dollars. Since he does not want others to suffer poverty, he and his wife Tabitha, give free scholarships to those in need of these helpful awards. Therefore, he is a legacy to those in poverty.

Stephen King’s early life was one of the things that had inspired him. He was born on September 21, 1947. For King, his life was about making friends and then moving away. The only people who were his permanent friends were his actual family, which was consisting of his brother, and Mom. The person who had most inspired him was his mom. Stephen King was such a good reader that he read adult horror comic books just for fun. Soon his mom inspired him to make his own comic books. When King finished his comic books, his mom gave him twenty-five cents. Soon King saved enough money to watch the movie The Creature of the Black Lagoon. Even though with that he was not scared, he was inspired by it. His mom kept on inspiring him on for the rest of his child life.

Soon, Stephen King was going to college. The only problem was that his family could not financially support his education. So Stephen earned a scholarship with hard work and time. Soon he started a living; he worked at a laundry shop for about 1.50 an hour. Soon, King was sick of cleaning laundry, so he applied for a job at Orono Campus in Maine. Stephen soon had two sons. He soon started to struggle with money again. So, Stephen King started to what he did at best, write horror storybooks. The first article that he had written was called, "The Glass Floor." He sold the story for 200 dollars to a magazine. King started to write the novel called Carrie. At first many publishers had refused Carrie, but one publisher had published it. Stephen King earned 40,000 dollars. He soon started to write more books for his horror loving fans.

Stephen King’s challenges were almost hopeless of stopping. He almost died when a drunk driver ran him over. He soon recovered with time and therapy. Another problem was drugs. He had a problem with beer, wine, cocaine and other drugs. Soon, his family found out and his wife said, "Either stop drinking or leave my family alone!" As a result, Stephen soon stopped taking drugs as a habit. One of the worst problems for King was that his dad had run away from home when Stephen was the age of 2. His mom had to spend more than 60 hours of work a week. Since King’s family had to live in poverty, his mom could not afford to hire a baby sitter. So, Stephen had to take care of himself with his big brother. One day, Stephen was playing with one of his friends when they started to play trains near a train track. Soon, a train started to come and his friend was run over by the train. At that moment, Stephen King was interested in death and other horror related topics. Some other obstacles for Stephen was that when he started to write books, a critic said that Stephen’s books were too bloody. His books were almost thrown out of bookshops. As you can see, King’s challenges were very hard to stop.

Stephen King’s contributions were never forgotten. One of King’s best contributions was that he donated his time as well as his money for the art of writers. He gives scholarships to those who need it. Some of his other contributions were that he wrote more than 40 books for his fans. Stephen King was one of authors who related to the time and culture of America. That means that he used current politics and other interesting problems in his well-known books. He contributed to the fans he loved by writing after the horrible accident that had all most cost him his life. He also is volunteering to teach 7th graders to be better writers on an online teaching class. Stephen King’s contributions are still being honored to this day.

Stephen King never stopped shooting for the all-star awards of writing. In fact, he probably is still given awards for the rest of his life. He is such an excellent writer that he had more than five best-seller books on the list. So, he officially had gotten a Guinness World Record. He also had gotten many Locus awards as well as Lifetime Achievement awards. Some other wards that he had earned; Best writer of the Year, World Fantasy awards, Hugo Awards, British Fantasy Awards, Career Awards, Nebula Awards, Horror Guild Awards, and his best award was the best Twentieth Century Writer. He always says, "It was all because of my mother." That saying is true because his mother has always inspired him to excel at whatever he was interested in. As you can see, Stephen King always aimed for the best scores and awards. If he missed, he would try, try, and try again until he was the best. That is a true writer.

Stephen King has a strong sense of perseverance. He has a strong sense of perseverance because he had persevered through many times of poverty since King had lost his family. He had also persevered through the time that he had almost lost his leg. Those were dark and horrible times. The power of his perseverance had engulfed those dark times and it had thrown those dark dreams away into the depths of his genius brain. Somehow, those dreams were pulled out from that storage chamber of scary times and put into that powerful worded writing. Soon, Stephen King, the king of horror was rising above the stars with his writing novels. He is such a good writer that even I would honor him as if he was the king of writing. As you can see, Stephen King had a good sense of perseverance.

The first way I would describe Stephen King would be rayless because rayless means dark or gloomy. Stephen King is rayless because his child life was very sad. Even though his child life had inspired him; it had also scared him out of guts. He is rayless because he started to write adult comic horror books. At the age of six, his mom started to read him adult horror –fiction books for bedtime. Stephen King was rayless because he sometimes says sayings such as, "God is cruel, sometimes he makes you live." Or, he says, "The devil’s voice is sweet to hear." Stephen King maybe rayless, but he is rayless because it is his key to be a better writer.

The power of Stephen King’s strong sayings and the way he writes is so exquisite. Here are some of his sayings. "French is the language that turns dirt into romance." The saying means that French is such a good language to learn, that it may attract more romance for your life. Another saying is, "I am the equivalent of a big Mac and fries." It means that he is either humble or an arrogant fool. It depends on what you think. "When asked, "How do you write?" I invariably answer one word at a time." That means he takes his time when he writes. Here are some more quotes. "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones." "The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet." "You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants." "Get busy living, or get busy dying." "Fiction is the truth inside the lie." "Each life makes its own imitation of immortality." "I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses." "No, it's not a very good story - its author was too busy listening to other voices to listen as closely as he should have to the one coming from inside." "Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty." "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." As you can see, Stephen King is one of the best writers in the world. He is my hero because he has persevered through the most horrible times that a man can ever survive.