Sonny Metcalfe

by Tekoa from St. Louis

Growing up on the north side of St. Louis in the Walnut Park area, all kids saw around the block was gang fights and drugs being sold. Not too many of them were willing to take a chance with any of the programs coming in the neighborhood. The kids only went to church, school and the park. Well about the time I was in high school I heard about a man that was helping kids to fulfill their dreams. So I took a chance and every day after school I went to see what he was about. I found out there was a dance crew, singers, and rapper. There was even a comedy act. It was like being at a creative art school and the man that ran programs was a friend and a big brother, but he still had that fatherly present. If he hadn't done what he did there would be more kids out here selling drugs or just getting in trouble. He helped people like my old group MGM (MIDWEST GENTLEMAN ), MASTER TOUCH, SHOW -N-TELL, AND VONDELL HENDERSON. Now it's 25 years later and all the young people he helped are helping other kids. And continue his work. We just got to thank Sonny Metcalfe for his time.