Angels

Susan Murray

by Lia from Austin

My hero, Mrs. Murray
My hero, Mrs. Murray

What is a hero to you? To me it is not Batman or Superman. A hero is someone who will encourage you to live up to your dream. A person who is loyal, selfless, kind, generous and fair. A hero listens, and can see the good in everyone. They should be judged by what is on the inside, not the outside...for these reasons my hero is my music teacher, Susan Murray.

Mrs. Murray was born on the 23 of March in a town called Marshall, Texas. As a baby, Mrs. Murray loved music. It all started when her mom would rock her to bed and sing her favorite hymns. Later in life, Mrs. Murray got a bachelor of music degree from the University of Delaware, and now she teaches the 3RD and 4TH grade music at Trinity Episcopal School. Mrs. Murray has been teaching here at Trinity for 7 years now. Mrs. Murray plays the piano, recorder (a recorder is like a penny whistle) and sings like an angel. She has three children, David, 23, Ellen, 21 and Carol who is 18.

Mrs. Murray’s hero is her dad because he took time to make everyone feel important. Mrs. Murray takes time to make everyone feel special, too - just like her dad did.

I admire Mrs. Murray because I can look up to her and think "I really would like to be like her when I grow up." Whenever I’m around Mrs. Murray, I feel my heart rise and know I can do anything as long as I am willing to. She always comes to work smiling, and makes me smile even if I’m grouchy. Mrs. Murray tries hard to teach us music and is always finding new strengths in her students. While she teaches, she makes music fun, which is great because normally music classes are dull and boring. Mrs. Murray teaches me and the 4TH and 3RD graders the recorder, and sometimes we (the students) are a little um… screechy, but still she patiently waits and tries again. I admire her for that and would like to be like that, too. This is another reason why Mrs. Murray is my hero, because she is patient and kind.

You might find a heart that not always is truthful and is like a copper medal. A heart that tells mostly the truth is a silver medal, but a heart that is gold, tells the truth always. You will find a gold heart in Mrs. Murray. And that, friends, is why my hero is Mrs. Murray, because her heart is pure gold, full of integrity, peace, and smiles.

Mrs. Murray's Web page at Trinity School - Mrs. Murray's school web page