Stephen Siller

by Sydney from Granite Bay

Some Gave A Lot , Others Gave It All....

On September 11, 2000 a thirty-four year old man, named Stephen Siller, faced his death. Stephen Siller worked for the Fire department of New York, FDNY.

After a long shift at the station, where he had been working, he went home. While driving to play a round of golf with his three brothers the news about the plane crash had popped up on his scanner. He decided to drop his plans with his brothers and go help those in need. He grabbed his gear and headed toward the World Trade Centers.

While rushing to the towers, Siller had to drive through the Brooklyn Battery tunnel. When he saw that vehicles were not being permitted to enter the tunnel, Siller decided to park his truck on the side of the road, get out, and start running. With sixty pounds of gear on he ran nearly 1.7 miles through the tunnel. When he was running he happened to run into his squad (squad 1). He got into the engine and headed toward danger. After getting picked up, his remains and the others' were not found.

Frank, his brother, was devastated, knowing that someone he loved was now gone. "He had a choice. He could've just waited and found another way to get there. But that's what destiny is, that's what fate is. He's running through the tunnel, and he has a beautiful wife, five beautiful kids. He had everything he had ever wanted in life," His brother Frank said. Stephen was one of three-hundred and forty-three firefighters killed that day.

http://youtu.be/jR3771N9od8

Siller was truly an amazing hero, father, and brother. He died for the people in danger that were in the towers. Stephen's kids, family, and close friends will be able to look back and remember him as a hero. He is truly missed and loved by everyone.

http://tunnel2towers.org/

- Stephen was a father of 5
- He was the youngest of 7
- There was a run called "Tunnel to Towers" retracing his steps