Stephen Siller

by Kayla from Manhattan

September 11, 2001 was one of the most tragic days in our country's history. A lot of innocent Americans lost their lives that day, and a lot of heroes are remembered for what they sacrificed that day. One of these heroes was local firefighter Stephen Siller. Stephen wasn't anywhere near the Towers when the planes hit and could've gone home safe to his family, but decided to face danger to help others return home safe instead. He was a hero because he was selfless, courageous, and brave.

Stephen by his Engine (http://sav-cdn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/ (cdn.com))

Stephen Siller, a 34-year-old firefighter, had just finished his overnight shift at the station and was driving to meet with his brothers. It was his day off and he was going to spend it playing a relaxing game of golf at the country club with his brothers. As he was driving, he heard over the radio that the Towers had been hit by a plane and knew he needed to help. Immediately he called his wife, Sarah "Sally", and told her he would meet up with his brothers later. After he hung up, he turned his car around and headed toward the World Trade Center. As he was on his way, he got held up in traffic in the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and couldn't drive any farther. But that didn't stop Siller. He strapped on his nearly 75 pounds of firefighter equipment onto his back and started the 2 mile long run to Ground Zero. On the way he was picked up by his crew, Squad Co. 1 and rode with them to the site. Stephen never made it home. Other members of his crew reported that Siller successfully completed one trip in and out of the South Tower but went back in a second time to save more people but never made it out. Along with Stephen, ten other members of Squad Co. One died that day.

Stephen was the youngest of 7, and was orphaned at the age of 10 after his father died from diabetes and his mother of cancer. He then went to live with his older brother and wife Russ Siller until he graduated from St. Agnes Cathedral High School. He then went to pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a firefighter, graduating from fire academy and working in rotation for 3 years at Engine Co. 10 Manhattan. Although being a firefighter was his dream, he returned to Sunnyside to work in his brother's business, Staten Island Furriers, but soon left again to continue being a firefighter. In 1990 he was married to Sarah Wilson, and moved to West Brighton. They had 5 kids - 2 sons and 3 daughters. "Stephen was a great father." says his brother Russ. "He was always involved, whether it was coaching his daughters 4th grade basketball team or being a member of the Youth Activity Council, he did it all." Stephen will be remembered not only as a hero for what he did on 9/11, but as a great father, husband, brother, and friend.

Stephen Foundations (http://www.digitaljournal.com/img/2/4/2/6/4/5/i/9/ (digital journal))

Although Stephen is gone, his legacy still lives on today. There have been multiple fundraisers hosted in his name. One of the more popular fundraisers is the Tunnel to Towers run. It's a 5k race that was originally organized by his older brother Russ. "It was a great way to honor and remember what Stephen did that day." The race course goes through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel where Siller ran that day and goes all the way to the former site of The World Trade Center. Firefighters from all over come to participate in this race every year in full gear to remember their fellow members that were lost. Also, many off-duty American Soldiers come to run as well as the Wounded Warrior Foundation. All the money raised goes to 8th grade students at St. Agnes Cathedral School in Rockville Center. The $1,000 scholarships go to the students who have also lost one or both of their parents in some way or have special needs. Another foundation representing Stephen is the Let Us Do Good Foundation. They opened a house for orphaned children called Stephen's House, after the heroic firefighter. Although Stephen is no longer here to help, his actions have inspired many to go out of their way to help and represent him.

Being a hero is not an easy task. It take bravery, courage, humility - but most of all selflessness - and Stephen Siller showed all of these traits on the horrible day of September 11, 2001. Although Stephen was supposed to be safe and out of the line of fire that day, he chose to value another person's life over his own. Stephen was selfless, brave, and courageous. Although Stephen lost his life that day, he will forever be remembered through his fundraisers and, most importantly, his actions.

The Tunnel to Towers Foundation - Tunnel to Towers
Tunnel to Towers Run - Tunnel to Towers