Stephen Siller

by Tyler from Selden

In memory of Stephen Siller
In memory of Stephen Siller

There are many different ways of telling people what a hero is. To me a hero is a person who is brave and courageous. To others it may that a their hero is inspirational like a musician or a writer. To me a hero is a person who showed an action that was and should be noticed. My hero is a firefighter named Stephen Siller. He’s my hero because he saved many lives on that tragic day we call 9-11. I want to be a firemen just like him, my father, my mom and my grandfather were. He is also my hero because he showed many acts of bravery, courage and responsibility.

My hero has done a great deal of work in helping our country in a time of need. During 9-11, Stephen was stuck in the Lincoln Battery Tunnel with his big rig. So what does he do, he leaves his truck there and runs with all his 70 pound gear on 3 miles to the World Trade Center to help with the collapsing and fires. When he got there he was directed to go in the building to help where he was then crushed under debris. All that work to help someone and his life ended that fast.

Stephen was born to mother Mae age 44 and father George age 49. At the age of 10, both of Stephen’s parents died. So he moved to Rockville Centre. In 1989 he bought his first house at a Duplex on Staten Island. A year later he married his wife Sally. Together they had a total of 5 children. There were 3 girls and 2 boys. The girl’s names were Katie, Olivia and Genevieve. The boy’s names are Jake and Stephen Jr.

Found at the site
Found at the site

Stephen Siller had one main obstacle in his life. That obstacle that broke his heart was when his parents died when he was at the age of 10. He was devastated when this happened but he eventually got over it. One of his main accomplishments was that he was asked out to a lot of proms and dances. He also achieved his life goal in joining the New York Fire Department. Stephen's life was fun filled. Luckily for him he was able to spend a nice time with his kids before he died. In August 2001 Stephen and his family went to Pennsylvania to go to Hershey Park.

I think that Stephen put a great impact on our society today. Now every September there is a run called the Tunnel To Tower run. This run is to honor that man Stephen Siller that risked his life with all those other firemen and innocent people. But he stands out, out of all them, because he ran about 3 miles with about 70 pounds of gear on his back. I think that he touched the hearts of many people when he did that. I know that he touched my heart just like my dad did when he went to help with the 9-11 terrorist attack.

silive.com - Tunnel to tower run
RideBackwards.com - About him
tripod.com - About the day
sirebles.com - About him