Stephen Siller

by Skye from San Diego

Stephen Siller, a fire fighter at Squad 1 in Park Slope, Brooklyn, was a brave and courageous hero. Born in 1966, Stephen did many things in his life to brighten the lives of others. During his life he became a peer counselor, made it his priority to visit the sick and help others, and had a family of 1 wife and 5 children. On September 11, 2001 Stephen died as a brave hero in an attempt to save the lives of those in the World Trade Center.

Stephen is considered a hero for his wonderful display of bravery and selflessness when many people were in dire need of help. On 9/11 Stephen was on his way to go play golf after a full night shift at the station when he learned about the first plane hitting the towers. He decided he needed to help. After going back to grab his gear, he was on his way putting his life aside. I think this shows just how much he needs to be remembered because instead of going on with his daily plans, he went back for people he didn't even know. When Stephen arrived at the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel he realized there was much traffic, got out of his truck and ran all the way to the towers with 60 pounds of gear on. Once he arrived he ran into the building and when he returned his squad was relieved, but he ran back inside to help more people. I believe this has the very meaning of selflessness and bravery. He already risked his life once, and then ran back in knowing all too well he might not make it back. Although he didn't make it, he needs to be remembered for everything he did, no matter how many people he saved, he still took his own life to help another.

He is an inspiration in many ways, but two major ones stick out strongly. He dropped everything, his plans, his family, and his own life just to help someone else. I think if there were more people like Stephen, this world would be a lot better of a place. He also did not give up or wait around when it came to running through a tunnel with 60 pounds of gear or running into the burning towers twice to save a stranger. Any person who finds a solution to an obstacle standing in the way of them risking their own life sounds like an inspiration to me. He inspires me to not always look for the best for me, but to remember that other people may need more help than you even can imagine.

Foundation, Tunnel to Towers. "Hero Stephen's Legacy." [Online] Available http://tunneltotowersrun.org/stephens_legacy.aspx.

from Manhassat , Vincent. "Stephen Siller: From the Tunnel to the Towers." [Online] Available http://www.myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=Stephen_Towers_stmarys_es_US_2010.