Sojourner Truth

by Suri from San Diego

Inspirations give individuals the ability to see the capabilities they could achieve. Sojourner Truth was a person whose true inspirational power is expressed in her speech. Truth was born in 1797 in Rifton, New York. Later in the years, Sojourner Truth gained a skill of speaking and used her voice for everyone to hear, especially in 1851 Truth had given her world famous speech, Ain't I a Woman?, to a group of ridiculing men and women. She had shown the world that no matter what race or gender should have equal rights. Through her perseverance in her actions, commitment to her beliefs and bravery towards her outspokenness, Sojourner Truth displays to the world that she is indeed an inspiring women.

Sojourner's perseverance to her work was an important aspect of how the world had heard her voice. Truth was a committed woman to her cause, no matter what state Truth was in she would still fight hard for people to understand where she was coming from. "For the remaining years of her life, and in spite of her failing health, Sojourner Truth continued to champion the rights of blacks and of women" ("Sojourner Truth" Historic). Truth shows her determination through her hard work, even though her health was failing. She shows great commitment to have her voice heard no matter what the circumstances were. Sojourner's dedication had lasted all the way till her death bed. "She continued to travel and speak on social reform issues such as temperance as long as she was able, and she received hundreds of visitors in Battle Creek until her death on 26 November 1883" (Karson 44). Truth's commitment is exposed when all the hundreds of her followers had been present at her funeral. Sojourner Truth had stayed committed to her cause till she had died; due to this, many around the world had heard her cause. Ultimately Truth's hard-work had helped her cause to be heard. Committed to her, Truth shows that she had genuinely tried to have her beliefs made clear. 

Sojourner Truth showed an extraordinary amount of strength in her actions. Truth not only was a feminist, but also was an abolitionist. While she was preaching her world famous speech in Ohio she claimed that,

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud puddles, or gives me any best place, and ain't I a woman? . . . I have plowed, and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me--and ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man (when I could get it), and bear the lash as well--and ain't I a woman? I have borne five children and seen most all sold off into slavery and when I cried out with a mother's grief, none but Jesus heard--and ain't I a woman ("Sojourner Truth" Historic)

Truth states that even though she is a black woman, she should be treated equally as a normal white woman. Sojourner Truth stands on the podium strong, staying on point with her beliefs of what she thinks is right. Truth not only showed her strength in her speaking but also in her presence. "Writing in 1863 about the visit, Stowe related "...her conversation was so strong, simple, shrewd, and with such a droll flavoring of humor, Professor Stowe won't say of an evening, 'Come, I am dull and bored, can't you send Sojourner up here to talk to" (Gale). Whether you were speaking to her or in her presence, you could absorb her strength. Sojourner spoke with powerful strength, and made sure everyone noticed how strongly she had felt. 

Sojourner was a brave woman when it came to her unreserved speech. Truth frankly spoke what she believed was right for America. "As a black woman, Sojourner realized that she was doubly discriminated against. Thus, she became an outspoken supporter of women's emancipation and lectured on women's rights and black freedom. In 1854, she gave one of her most famous speeches at the Woman's Rights Convention in Akron, Ohio" ("Sojourner Truth" Historic). Knowing she was highly discriminated against, Truth was brave to stand up for what she thought was right in front of a group. Sojourner had stood up to many to show them the other side of the problem, even though some could throw her off the stage. "At a time when the cooperation between white abolitionists and African Americans was limited, as was the alliance between the woman suffrage movement and the abolitionists, Sojourner Truth was a figure that brought all factions together by her skills as a public speaker and by her common sense" (Mcleod). Truth had seen that the two factors had a big opposition, but she still risked her life just to come up with a solution. Usually when an individual risks their life they tend to have some courage in their body. Sojourner Truth's bravery had shown that she was not only dedicated to her work, but also strongly believed in it. 

Truth was an individual who believed she had the capabilities to create equality. Through her strengths, determination, and courage, Sojourner Truth is a great example of what the average image of an inspirational women's appearance should be. Sojourner Truth shows her inspirational values by showing how much she had risked for other people's equality. She could have done these things as acts of selfishness, but she had done this for the world. She knew what her outcomes would have been when she spoke her words throughout her speech, but yet she had still achieved it. Truth reveals to her audience and the many more to notice, that if you want to achieve your goals in life you have to believe.  

Works Consulted

Karson, Jill. Leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. Farmington Hills, MI: Greenhaven, 2005.           Print.

McLeod, Jennifer, and McLeod Jennifer. "Sojourner Truth." Great Lives From History: The Nineteenth Century (2007): 1.Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Dec. 2013.

Ralston, Gail. "Andover Stories: The Quiet Strength of Sojourner Truth » News » Andover Townsman, Andover, MA." News ATOM. Andover Stories, n.d. Web. 19 Dec. 2013.

"Sojourner Truth." Historic World Leaders. Gale, 1994. Biography in Context. Web. 9 Dec. 2013.

No Limits Foundation - My hero is celebrated for her work.
Sojourner Truth Institute - Truth is idolized in the town where she perished
Sojourner Foundation - Sojourner Truth is thanked through this foundation