Spencer West

by Girin from Bradford, Ontario, Canada

" Details in the fabric"

( ())
( ())

My hero is Spencer West. He is my hero because he had a goal, and his goal was to make a difference in the world by building schools in developing countries. He showed the world that it doesn't matter how you look or how old you are to make a difference, all that matters is that you can make a difference starting right now.

Spencer West was born in Rock Springs, Wyoming, USA. He was born on January 7, 1981. In his family are his dad; Kenny West, his mom; Tonette West, and his sister; Annie West. West got his education from Overland Elementary, and high school education from White Mountain Junior High.

Spencer had some very hard obstacles in his life. For one he had a difficult time when he didn't have his legs. He had a difficult time in his childhood for, first of all having no legs and second of all having to struggle from looking different. He also had all girls as friends instead of boys. But even though he struggled a lot he still got the support he needed from his family and friends to help him out.

Spencer is inspired by many different people like his mom and dad, who had courage in West to prove that he could be like everybody else, even though he doesn't have any legs. Another person that influences West is Rick Hansen because he showed the world what he's made of.

Spencer West has gone from city to city telling his fans his heart-touching speeches about how he became a hero and how us kids can make a difference in the world starting right now. West has gone to more than several different countries like India, Kenya and China to help build schools for children just like us. But West's adventure to change lives all started when a friend of his invited him to travel with him to Kenya to build a school. That's when he decided that he was going to help change lives for children and be a hero. West's achievements include him seeing children's smiling faces and knowing that now those children that struggle don't have to struggle anymore. He now knows that he has achieved his goal of making a difference in the world.

My hero Spencer West is a very special hero/person to me. He is determined. He is determined to make a difference in the world by building a school or even putting a smile on everyone's face. My hero is always positive. He never says to give up , but to keep trying until you get to your goal. West has endurance, meaning to never give up. He tells himself that " Just because I look different it doesn't mean that I can't make a difference in the world. West also has leadership. He is a leader to people that are inspired by him like me.

My hero influences me to have a goal and achieve it in every little step. Spencer West inspires a lot of people to show what you're made of. To show the world that you can make a difference. West has taught me to achieve, believe and succeed. He's taught me to have a goal and reach that goal, step by step, in your life. He has gone through difficult obstacles in his life, but he has gone through each one of those obstacles in a positive attitude.

Spencer West is my hero because if he doesn't look like everybody else, it doesn't stop him from reaching his goal. West doesn't need legs. He has wings. His wings are his words. Any audience would be lucky to learn from Spencer's life story.