Shannon Boxx

by Karli from Mission Viejo, California

I first became aware of Shannon Boxx when she started playing professional soccer in the women’s league, WUSA. She played for the San Diego Spirit and played defensive center mid. What I like about her career is that she isn’t just a soccer player, she also coaches and trains. She went to the same college I would like to go to, Notre Dame. She played soccer in college, something I would like to do too.

Shannon plays soccer professionally on the full national team and for the new league WPS. She plays on the team LA Sol and plays defensive center mid. There is really no education requirement to play professional soccer except for the fact you have to be really good. To play on the national team they usually will call you in for a camp before you make the national team. They will recruit you in pro leagues, semi pro leagues, and college games. Professional soccer players' salaries depends on how good they are, what position they play, and if they are in the starting eleven or not. The minimum you can make is 40,000 dollars a year.

"She attended South Torrance High School from 1991-1995 and was a Parade High School All-American in 1995. When she was in high school she made The Ocean League Scholar Athlete in 1995 and her high school's female athlete of the year. She went to college at Notre Dame and played soccer all four years. She made the honor roll for 3 out of the 4 years, helped Notre Dame to its only NCAA women's soccer title in 1995, earned Big East Scholar-Athlete Award in 1998 and shares school record for career games played with 101."

"Shannon participated in the in the Avon 3-Day Walk for Breast Cancer Research from Santa Barbara to Malibu, California every year."

I would like to make varsity soccer next year and for my remaining high school years. I would also like to make 1st team all-American. Then, in college I would like to go to Notre Dame and hopefully make it to the NCAA finals and win the championships. Also when I am in college I would like to make both the U-18 National Team and the U-21 National Team. My lifetime goal would be to become a professional soccer player on the women’s full National Team and play in at least one Olympic and one World Cup.