Steve Nash

by Nicholas from San Diego

Nash to recieve honorary doctorate from UVic (inklake.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/nash.jpg)

Basketball is one of the world’s most popular sports; it is filled with commitment, passion, and intensity. One of the game’s best has proved himself on and off the court. Steve has proven he is a man of character and respect. He has achieved so much in basketball, but it’s nothing compared to what he’s achieved outside of basketball. Steve Nash was born in Johannesburg, South Africa on February 7, 1974. He attended St. Michael’s University High School where he excelled in basketball and eventually entered the NBA with the 15th overall pick in the NBA draft. He has won 2 MVP (most valuable player), and many community service awards. Steve has inspired the lives of many people, not just because of what he has accomplished on the basketball court, but what he has done to help our world.

2004-05 NBA MVP Steve Nash (http://www.freewebs.com/schasen/05NashSteveMVP.jpg)

Steve Nash was a born athlete going through many sports, his passion was basketball. While he was enrolled at St. Michael’s University High, he produced amazing statistics while on the basketball team. “Playing basketball at St. Michael’s University High School in Victoria, Nash averaged 21 points, 11 assists, and nine rebounds per game as a senior.” (“Nash, Steve (1974- )”). As you can tell, Nash was a phenomenal basketball player. What is more impressive is that he averaged 11 assists per game; this proves Steve was unselfish and wanted what was best for the team, just as he is in real life. Steve Nash eventually made it into the NBA where he was an all-star player and won 2 MVP awards. “Nash led the league in assists with 861 (11.5 per game) and his free-throw percentage (.921), and won his first MVP award. One year later Nash again led the league in assists, and defeated Lebron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the MVP voting.” (“Nash, Steve (1974- )”). During this season, he would have games where he would have zero points and 22 assists because he wanted the best for his team, not himself. Because Steve Nash was unselfish on the court and recorded an incredible amount of assists, Nash was awarded with MVP awards. This proves that if you are as unselfish off the court, the outcome will be amazing and definitely rewarding. He believed that if you can set up your teammates for success, you will have success and prosper in what you do. Steve Nash was very successful in basketball because he had determination and the desire to win as a team.

Steve Nash helping build some houses. (www.nba.com/media/suns/nash_300_080728.jpg)

Steve has inspired the country of Canada and raised millions of dollars for organizations. Nash has volunteered and made many organizations that help kids, teens, and adults to stay healthy and maintain an excellent diet. “In 2001, (Steve Nash) formed the Steve Nash Foundation which aims to grow health in kids by funding projects that encourage participation in physical activity and other healthy life choices…(Steve Nash) is the sponsor of the Steve Nash youth basketball league in British Columbia that has grown to over 10,000 participants.” (“Steve Nash Bio”). Steve was a very active person in the community and enjoyed giving back; it’s because of his efforts, to make a difference, that makes him a heroic figure. His charities have helped thousands of people get better at basketball, and become in physically good shape. He also enjoys organzing fundraisers where he is able to play basketball and have a good time. “(Steve Nash) helped raise $2.5 million in the 2007 Yao Ming/ Nash charity basketball game that featured teammates Leandro Barbosa and Alondo Tucker…presented with the 2007 J. Walker Kennedy citizenship award, given to (Steve Nash) displaying outstanding community work.” (“Steve Nash Bio”). As you can see, being unselfish pays off as he was awarded a prize that showed his efforts were outstanding. You can also see that many people look up to him and wanted to attend the charity basketball game event because Steve and Yao were great role models and players. In conclusion, Steve has done many amazing services for our world because he cares and wants to see a change which makes him a hero, no doubt.

Canadas own, Steve Nash (www.ecoactionteams.ca/.../2010/04/steve_nash.jpg)

Steve Nash is an amazing role model and a heroic figure because he has given so much to make our world a better place. He has won 2 MVP awards, many NBA assists leader awards, Western Conference player award and many others. Although those certificates are impressive, his donations, fundraisers, and organizations are even more impressive because he was able to help our world while playing the game he loves. Steve Nash inspires me in countless ways, he is unselfish, determined, and respectful and I admire that about him. He has won numerous items in basketball and taken his team to new heights than anyone thought he could ever do. He is exciting to watch and great to learn from and to me that makes him my hero. Above anything, Steve Nash has helped our world become better by the little things he has done, the big things he has accomplished and the visions and dreams he hopes to complete. Steve Nash is a hero, no doubt, his achievements and awards will make him remembered historically, and his efforts, his determination, and his respectable character make him an honorable man. Steve Nash not only changed the game of basketball, he changed the world.

Steve Nash: the 2007 Most Caring Athlete. (http://www.nba.com/media/suns/nash_magazine_300.jpg)

Works Consulted

Nash, Steve. "Steve Nash Wants You to Help Save the World.(DOUIBLE ISSUE)(Features." Sports Illustrated Kids. 20. 11 (Dec 2008): G10. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 14 May. 2010.

Paul Burton. "Nash, Steve (1974-)." Biography Resource Center. Detroit: Gale, 2006. Student Resource Center -Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 14 May. 2010.

Pierce, Charles P. "The Genuine Point Guard.(PRO BASKETBALL; STEVE NASH)." Sports Illustrated. 112. 16 (April 12, 2010): 56. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 14 May. 2010.

“Steve Nash Bio”. NBA.com. 5 May 2010

Steve Nash Foundation - The Steve Nash Foundation aims for better success with kids who are less fourtunate.
Steve Nash MVP Fundamentals - Learn basketball from the best Point Gaurd in NBA history!
Steve Nash's Twitter - Connect with Steve Nash.
Steve Nash Biography - Learn about more about Steve Nash.
Suns Basketball - Official Site of the Phoniex Suns!

"I am a huge believer in giving back and helping out in the community and the world. Think globally, act locally I suppose. I believe that the measure of a person's life is the affect they have on others." -Steve Nash