Sacagawea

by Ashleigh from Saint Paul

Sacagawea's Golden Dollar
Sacagawea's Golden Dollar

--What qualities or characteristics make a hero? To me, a hero is......
To me a hero is a person that is very brave, courageous and has good intentions for doing good deeds. Also, they resemble a hero when they can influence somebody to do better at what they do.

My hero is Sacagawea. Sacagawea was born to a tribe of Shoshone near what is now Lemhi County, Idaho. However, in 1800, when she was about 11 or 12, she was kidnapped by a group of Hidatsa and taken to their village near the present Washburn, North Dakota. She learned to take in their ways until one day she escaped back to her home tribe. She was one of the members of the Shoshoni tribe that guided Merriwether Lewis and William Clark on their expedition in the early 1800’s. She did this extravagant task because they needed someone who knew the area very well and Sacagawea was there to help.

--What did I learn from my hero?
I learned that Sacagawea was brave and strong for her help on that expedition and that other people can learn to just persevere to keep going. I think that everybody who understands her backround will greatly benefit from her story.

Sacagawea - Biography of Sacagawea