Sacagawea

by Ashley from Wallingford

“Everything she did on that journey was for her people.”
this is an image of a statue of Sacagawea and her (flickr.com)

For my 19th century hero I chose Sacagawea because she didn't have to go with Lewis and Clark. But she did anyway. Sacagawea is representing my definition of a hero because she wasn't forced to be in the expedition. Sacagawea was born circa 1786. She never really had a home, she was in a tribe and she was taken and then she joined the Lewis and Clark expedition.

She helped Lewis and Clark when the boat flipped over. She wasn't made or paid to go and get Lewis' and Clark’s journals, but she did anyways. To me that makes her a hero. She led them on the right path. And in the end we had more land. She has helped out a lot of things since she was alive.

An image of a Sacagawea statue in a museum with l (flickr.com)

If it wasn't for Sacagawea then we probably wouldn't have made the discovery of the other half of the United States. Because everyone else then didn't want to go and look over there because they knew that there was a lot of unknown things there so they weren't brave enough to go out there, but Sacagawea was. She has impacted a lot of people today even after she died.

She is still a hero to many people today. So she is the type of person that you can look up to. A lot of people today are still looking up to her now. She has done a lot since she was alive. If it wasn't for her, Lewis and Clark might not have been able to go through all of those jungles and forests. They might not have survived. She is going to be known for her helpful experience with Lewis and Clark. She might tell people to be nicer and help out other people more.