Sacajawea

by Jodie from North Platte

Sacagawea was a very important woman because of her bravery and because she lead the Lewis and Clark Expedition. She was born in 1788 near Kenny Creek, which is now the town of Tendoy, Idaho. Her dad was a chief of the Shoshone tribe.

Sacagawea grew up in the mountains and the great plains. When Sacagawea was around 12 years old, she was kidnapped by a Minnataree warrior. She was set free a year later, and at 13 Sacajawea was married because she was forced to marry a French-Indian man. Sacagawea married Toussaint Charbonneau and together they had two kids. One was named Pompey, or Little Pompey, and the other was named Lizette.

Sacagawea was famous for leading Lewis and Clark’s expedition. In the winter of 1804 and 1805, Sacagawea and her husband met explorers, Lewis and Clark. Sacagawea had great knowledge of the land. She was an important member of the Discovery Corps, lead by Lewis and Clark, because she told them which plants were safe to eat and she helped them communicate with Indian groups.

When she was little Sacagawea did children’s work by helping her mom around the land because her tribe moved a lot, they were nomads. But, when Sacagawea was kidnapped, she was forced to do women’s work otherwise she would get punished.

Sacagawea help change the world by helping Lewis and Clark explore America. Sacagawea’s lasting effect on us was to be nice to others. Sacagawea died when she was 24 years old. Now there are 23 statues honoring Sacagawea.

Sacagawea has more statue’s honoring her than any other women in American history. There are mountains, rivers, and lakes named after her. The United States Mint chose to put her on the front side of the dollar coin holding Pompey to honor her.

I chose to write about Sacagawea because I was inspired by her leadership. I would like to be like Sacagawea . . . like a leader.