Explorers Heroes

Sacajawea

by Tennehya from Nebraska

<a href=http://www.meyna.com/princes.gif>Sacajawea</a href>
Sacajawea

Sacajawea was born around 1780 or 1790. People believe she was born in either western Montana, or eastern Idaho. Sacajawea’s Shoshone name was believed to be Boinaiv, which means “Grass Maiden.” In the region of the upper Missouri River in present day North Dakota, was the Hidatsa (Minitari) Indian's village. They captured Sacagawea and took her there. They may have been the ones who gave her the name Sacagawea with a “g”, coming from the Hidatsa word for “bird” and “woman."

Standardization resulted in the found spelling of Sacajawea with a “j,” in Shoshone meaning “Boat Launcher.” She was a member of the Lemhi band of Shoshone, and was captured and sold to a Mandan, and was finally traded to Toussaint Charbonneau, and became his wife. Sacajawea was the only woman who went with the Lewis and Clark Expedition and as a Native American woman. Sacajawea had a baby boy who was born on February 11, 1805, named Jean-Baptise, and when the Lewis and Clark Expedition started again on April 7, she carried her baby on her back. She carried her infant son on her back traveling thousands of miles in the wilderness to the Pacific Northwest with the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Sacajawea ran into a group of Shoshone on August 17, led by her brother Cameahwait. It is believed that she and Charbonneau went to St. Louis in 1809 to let their son be taught by Clark, who loved calling him Pomp or Pompey, and who named Pompey Tower on the Yellowstone River after him. Some people have memorials near the Wind River reservation in Wyoming, because some people believe that she rejoined to the Shoshone tribe and died there in 1884. She proved that women can do anything men can do, and sometimes better. She has not only made a difference in my life. She has made a big contribution to our country, because she helped Lewis and Clark discover new places, and if it weren’t for her they would not have discovered the Pacific Ocean.