Lim Bo Seng

by Marco from Cedar Grove

Bob Dylan once commented, “I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with freedom.” A hero has many goals to accomplish. Heroes never stop no matter what obstacles get in their way! They risk their life to save another life. Lim Bo Seng of Singapore is considered a hero for risking his life during World War II!

Lim Bo Seng was born April 27, 1909. As a child he lived in China, but moved to Singapore at a young age. He was raised as a Taoist. Lim Bo Seng came to Singapore to study the Raffles Institution. When 1930 came, Lim Bo Seng married Gan Choo Neo. Soon after that World War II began!

During World War II, Lim Bo Seng, a Chinese patriot, raised funds for boycotting and resisting the Japanese invasion. After he organized everything in China and India, he sent the first force of 136 agents to Malay to gather military gadgets of the Japanese. Soon after Singapore started falling to Japan, Lim Bo Seng was captured. When they asked for the names of people who were fighting in World War II, he refused to tell them! Lim Bo Seng died in captivity.

A hero possesses many qualities. Lim Bo Seng, a hero from Singapore, possesses qualities such as reliable, caring, and fearless. Reliable is a good quality to describe Lim Bo Seng because he was trusted not to tell the names of any of the people fighting. He showed caring because he chose to fight in World War II for his country. He was fearless because he kept trying to help his country no matter what got in his way.

In conclusion, heroes are people or animals that accomplish great deeds. They take a risk to help a person succeed. Lim Bo Seng is a hero from Singapore for surviving World War II. Now he is known as a great hero in Singapore for giving his life in World War II.