Shannon

by Taylor from New Glarus

My Hero

My father’s name is Shannon. He is a very respected man. A lot of people look up to him and I do also. He is my hero and my role model because he never gives up at anything. He feels like he has to master every single skill he likes and then he can move on to another.

My father used to own a body shop that burned down a couple of years ago. He became very skilled in painting, crafting and building and to this day he is still a master in all of those subjects. My father is also devoted because in five years he never missed a day of work and to me that is very impressive.

Shannon is a lifesaver as well. One night a deer ran out into the middle of the road while my dad and a couple of his friends were in the car. They ran the car off of the road and my dad sustained a dislocated leg and a broken arm but somehow he managed to pull his friends to safety before the car started on fire. In my mind that is devotion, risking your life for your friends because of these acts. His friends followed the ambulance all the way to the hospital in another car and they sat outside his room until he felt better.

Now it is time for you to hear how my dad became my hero. One night we were at a tractor pull and we decided to leave early because it was getting late. I was the first one of my family out of the stands but I didn’t know that a drunk driver was driving in the parking lot. I didn’t see him coming around the turn so when I spotted him, it was too late. As the headlights got bigger my dad screamed, ‘TAYLOR, TAYLOR! RUN, MOVE’!!! But before I could move, the truck had gotten too close.

Suddenly my Dad started in a full sprint to come and get me. After he got to me, he laid me on my back right in between the two front tires but suddenly I heard my dad scream. He had been hit by the truck. It had run over his ankle shattering the bone, but then the driver slammed on his brakes, wondering what had happened. As the truck started skidding forward, the tire dragged my dad’s foot with it. Then it was over.

The truck had stopped but my dad’s foot was basically torn off. The only thing that was keeping it on was some skin. He was taken to the hospital. After 8 hours in surgery he ended up with 5 metal rods in his leg. Now my dad has no left ankle but he can still participate in sports and activities like football, basketball and baseball.

In my conclusion, my dad isn’t just an average everyday guy; he is my hero and I would not know what else to call him except devoted, caring, and loving. I hope you enjoyed listening about what and who a hero is.