Social Services

by Keshia from Robinson

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

I have many heroes, but my biggest heroes are the social workers that changed my life forever. They saved me from a horrible family background, provided me with homes that were safe, and found the family who would eventually adopt me. When I was just a little girl, I would get really frustrated, to the point of running away, when they would take me away from my mom. As I grew older, I learned why I was put into these homes and it was for the better. So even though we were upset about going into foster care we tried to make the best of it all. Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

My first time meeting my heroes was the year of 1999 when my brother David, my sister Kayla, and I were put into foster care. Because our dad had died from an over dose of pills, our mom had been sent to jail for various reasons, and the rest of our family was also in trouble we had to go into foster care. We got placed in three foster homes before we found our home to stay. It was January 29, 2002 when my heroes brought me to my family. There were already three kids in this family so we made it a half dozen. David now the oldest, then Grace, me, Kayla, Jon, and last but not least little Maggie. When we walked into the house we were quite amazed because the big house had an elevator. Now that we have lived together for five years we cannot even remember what it's like without each other.

If it were not for the social workers in my life, then there would have been a possibility of me not being with my family. Even though I cried when I left my home, I am glad that it was done, because I moved to a family that taught me about Christ. The social workers saved my life and my brother and sister’s life as well; if it were not for them, we would possibly not be Christians. Mom says we saved their lives too. My life was truly changed when my heroes came into my life. Even though I am no longer in contact with my heroes I still admire them very much.