Spiderman

by Scott M. from St. Paul

"With great power comes great responsibility" - Uncle Ben

These immortal words have been etched into Peter Parker's mind since the first day he decided to become a superhero. Now what characteristics that define a hero does Spider-Man have? (Throughout the rest of this essay he will be referred to lovingly as Spidey or Peter) Read on and let's find out from his start as a hero, to his future as an old man with a family of his own.

FLAWED

For me a hero cannot be called a hero if he is a squeaky clean boy scout for life. All of the good heroes have flaws, Achilles had his anger, Odysseus talked too much and had loads of misguided pride. Spidey, well he has his inexperience and naivety. These flaws have even cost two people their lives.

Spidey first got his powers when he was a teenager, 16 to be exact, a sophomore in high school. He wanted money and fame like any teenager would so he signed up for an amateur wrestling match with sweet, delicious cash as a prize. He easily won this contest and when it came time to collect the prize money the owner told him there was no money, just as he was counting a large stack of cash. Peter swore that the man would get what he deserved, and then moments later he is robbed by a burglar who runs past Peter, who he could have easily tackled but didn't to teach the guy a lesson. Later that night his uncle Ben is shot by the same burglar. From that night on Peter makes an oath to himself and his late uncle to never make such a selfish decision again and to help everyone who needs it and fight for justice and use his powers for good and not for personal gain, that night he became The Amazing Spider-Man a wonderful, comical, witty superhero who very early into his career made a dreadful mistake that would affect him for the rest of his life.

Green Goblin Art By Luke Ross (Marvel Comics)

Heroes learn from their mistakes and become better at what they do

Peter met most of his famous villains while in high school ranging from Doctor Octopus to Sandman. But his arch nemesis was determined to be the Green Goblin who happened to be Norman Osborn the father of Harry Osborn, Peter's college roommate and best friend. The Green Goblin and Spider-Man fought many battles, eventually finding out each other's secret identities. One night after an epic battle amidst the New York City skyline the Green Goblin ceased to exist. Norman Osborn suffered head trauma and had acute memory loss forgetting everything about Spider-Man's secret identity to even becoming the Green Goblin. After several months Normans memory came back, although he kept it hidden until six months later when Norman's master plan to get revenge on Spider-Man took effect.

The Death Of Gwen Stacey

Reprint Edition Art By J.G. Jones (Marvel Comics)

The love of Peter's life at the time was Gwen Stacey daughter of the New York City police captain George Stacey. Peter was even toying with the thought of marrying Gwen and Norman knew this through his dinners with both Peter and Harry. Getting all the information on Peter he could so he could hit him where it hurts. That night Norman donned the Green Goblin mantle once more and kidnapped Gwen Stacey leaving a message for Spider-Man to meet him at the top of the Brooklyn Bridge. Peter, terrified for Gwen's life, went and met the Goblin and had a huge fight with him on top of the bridge. Eventually the Goblin got the upper hand and won a little bit of a break from the fight and dangled Gwen Stacey by one leg above the Brooklyn Bridge and dropped her, laughing maniacally the whole time. Peter quickly shoots a web and it catches Gwen by the foot and it seemingly saves her and he finished his fight with the Green Goblin and goes to fetch Gwen and finds her dangling upside down lifeless. He rushes to her side only to find her dead. Gwen suffered severe whiplash that broke her neck caused by Peter trying to save her by webbing her leg.

Harry Osborn unmasked as the second Green Goblin (Marvel Comics)

Selflessness, Love and an Indomitable spirit

After grieving for months and fighting many more super villains and with the original Green Goblin being dead from accidentally killing himself in a fight with Spider-Man. Peter vowed to protect the two people who he loved the most, his Aunt May and His girlfriend and soon to be wife Mary Jane Watson. Peter kept Mary Jane away most of college because he feared that she would get the same fate as Gwen and Mary Jane was even kidnapped by Harry Osborn (after Harry became the New Green Goblin) and dangled over the George Washington bridge the same way his father did. Years earlier Harry dropped her just like his father dropped Gwen. Peter hurled himself toward her realizing he wasn't going to make it. He webbed all of her limbs for support and saved her life. Peter still forgave his friend after the ordeal knowing how hard it has been for Harry. After his Father's death he forgave Harry and promised to get him help.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel Comics)
The Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel Comics)

A True Hero

Spider-Man has all of the qualities of a true hero, he even showed forgiveness to Harry who tried to kill his girlfriend (Mary Jane). He is slightly flawed, overconfident at times, and blames himself for too much. But he does not give up, he doesn't stop saving people because he knows that this is his purpose in life and he accepts it. He goes out everyday not running from his destiny, but embracing the gift he has been given. Spider-Man is a great role model for kids as he shows the same emotions we all do and even makes some decisions we all would out of selfishness. But he learns from those mistakes as we all would, and he focuses on what he did wrong and makes himself better, and that is why I love Spider-Man. He personifies the best of the human spirit, he is the fictional embodiment of the human race as a whole, showing how we are capable of becoming a hero. Sometimes it just takes someone, real or not, to show us all the way.

The Amazing Spider-Man is my hero of course. Now why did I pick Spider-Man and not a real person like a cop, a firefighter, or a teacher? Read on and let me tell you why.