Splashy

by Anna from Calgary

my mom, Splashy and I at our 4-H achievement day (Home)

Hi my name is Anna and I would like to tell you about my hero. My hero is my pony Splashy. It may sound a little weird that my pony is my hero but she has taught me that no matter how small you are if you believe in yourself you can do big things.

I first saw Splashy when I was in grade 4 ( I’m now in grade 5). We were going to find me a new pony at Dr. Burwash’s because I was getting too advanced for my last pony Blue). Splashy obviously wasn’t very happy with my being there because she kept running away from me but finally when I started to get into the car to leave she ran over to the fence and whinnied to me and at that moment she caught my heart. I have owned her and loved her ever since.

Splashy was born in 1995 but they did not record who her sire (dad) and her dam (mom) were. As far as we can tell Splashy wasn’t totally trained and her first owner used her to give pony rides so it took a while to teach her what was right and what was wrong.We also think someone may have bitten her ear during her training so she is now very headshy.

Splashy and I at the Bow Valley show (home)

Splashy’s breed is P.O.A. (Ponies Of America) which is a cross between an Appaloosa and a Shetland pony. She is white with light brown spots dotted all over her body. On her face if you look closely you can see a star, strip which ends in a snip. Her ears are a light brown and covered in fur. Splashy is only about 12 hands high so she is not very tall. Right now she is 10 years old.Splashy’s breed is P.O.A. (Ponies Of America) which is a cross between an Appaloosa and a Shetland pony. She is white with light brown spots dotted all over her body. On her face if you look closely you can see a star, strip which ends in a snip. Her ears are a light brown and covered in fur. Splashy is only about 12 hands high so she is not very tall. Right now she is 10 years old.

Splashy and I at our 4-H achievement day (home)

I can use Splashy for jumping, pleasure (English and western), equitation (English and Western), Gymkhana, trail riding, swimming (with your horse), racing and believe it or not I rode her bareback a lot without anything to control her and she has a very bony and skinny back plus she is a very very fast pony (hyper). We were both members of the Springbank Rawhides 4-H club (we’re now in our second year her with a new rider, me with a new horse) and Calgary Western Riders. Splashy and I never missed a rodeo or gymkhana because we knew we could beat everyone if Splashy listened to me so I spent all the time before our class trotting, walking and talking to her. We always won when I did that. We also never missed a show (but we weren’t as successful in those). I hope you enjoyed learning about my hero and you now realise how much Splashy means to me and why I picked her as my hero. She is now my sisters pony and I hope they will share the same adventures Splashy and I had.

Horses - It's about tons of horse stuff
Pony of the Americas - it's a whole website on P.O.A.'s
Pony of the Americas - It has information on P.O.A. stallions and mares