Saint Nicholas

by Taylor from Mankato

An Icon of Saint Nicholas (http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/barhege/StNicholasIcon)

St. Nicholas was born in Germany near the end of the 3rd century, in a town called Patara. His family was very wealthy and raised him to be a devout Christian. He was a holy person from the beginning and he took his faith seriously. However his parental influence was short lived, because they died while he was very young. He decided to use his inheritance in its entirety to help those who were less fortunate than he. In light of his deeds it wasn't long until he was made bishop of Myra. Though some say that it was also due to the priests in the area having a vision of an angel who told them "to choose a man who conquers." Hearing that Nicholas saved a man at sea who fell overboard, they chose him.

Painting from the Church of St. Nicholas in Myra (www.stnicholasofmyra.org)

In time he became known across the area for his kindness to others and his unmatched generosity. One story, begins with a poor man, who had no dowry to give his daughters, to save the girls the evil fate of slavery, St. Nicholas is said to have thrown 3 bags of gold through the father's open window, one for each of the daughters, other versions say he dropped them through the chimney and that it landed in a stocking. Other deeds like this earned him the title, "gift bringer". He is commonly identified with the man known as Santa Claus, and is the Patron of many countries, including Russia. He is also the patron of children, and sailors/fishermen etc.

Saint Nicholas bears the title of Saint but the Canonization process began well after he died, somewhere between 345 and 352, a period in which you were sainted by the people in and surrounding your community. Because of this, speculation has arisen as to whether or not he is truly a Saint.

Saint Nicholas, then was a very well known and respected man in his time and yet, very little is truly known about him. He was said to be a shy person. There are accounts of him attending the council of Nicaea, but his name is not on any of the lists that name the bishops who attended. It is said that he revived 3 children from death, but again this cannot be proved.