MY HERO in the News

April 21
My Hero Project’s 9th Annual Laguna Hero Fest

My Hero will present Youth Program,
featuring Give a Beat 3:30-5 p.m.

April 7, 2016 - The MY HERO Project’s 9th annual Laguna Hero Fest Youth Program will be held on April 21st at [seven-degrees] from 3:30 – 5 p.m. Young people and their families from the Laguna Beach Unified School District and the Laguna Beach Boys and Girls Club are invited to attend and the event is free to all. Give a Beat, a community music educational non-profit organization founded by Laguna Beach entrepreneur Lauren Segal will present a free DJ workshop for young people. 

Give a Beat serves as a catalyst to transform the positive energy of global dance music culture into meaningful interactions that build community and generate social good. Give a Beat believes in the strength of collaboration and uses music as a tool in helping vulnerable populations in the U.S to overcome their circumstances.
Enjoying the DJ Workshop, “Give a Beat”
Enjoying the DJ Workshop, “Give a Beat”
Featured DJ Artists for the workshop include Sascha Lahti and Everyone Deserves a Chance - Greg Oerlemans. Whitney Winefordner, a 7th grader from Thurston Middle School, who is an accomplished vocalist will perform a few songs, accompanied by musician John Heussenstamm, a local guitarist and music educator.
The program will include a screening of a few short films celebrating this year’s local honorees, including Music in Common, and the Laguna Beach Art Museum’s Art & Nature festival. In addition, art by local artist honorees Marlo Bartels and Patsee Ober will be exhibited along with a student showcase from LBHS students.Animal and ocean inspired artworks created by the Laguna Beach Boys and Girls Club members will be displayed at the Laguna Hero Fest Youth program.

Refreshments will be served and it promises to be an inspiring afternoon for all who attend.

The MY HERO Project, now in its 20th year, celebrates the best of humanity, by shining a light on heroes. The Laguna Hero Fest is the recognition of individuals who have made outstanding contributions and have accomplished important goals in our own greater Laguna Beach community.

Media sponsors for the 9th annual Laguna Hero Fest are KX 93.5 radio, and Stu News Laguna. Support for this program is provided by [seven-degrees], the lodging establishments, and the City of Laguna Beach.

The Laguna Hero Fest Youth Program is free and open to the public on April 21st at 3:30 p.m. at [seven-degrees]. All are welcome to enjoy this celebration of heroes and movers and shakers!

To RSVP and learn more visit: http://myhero.com/laguna

Laguna Hero Fest honors local humanitarians, artists and musicians, at [seven-degrees] at 7 p.m.

The MY HERO Project’s 9th Annual Laguna Hero Fest will be held on April 21st at [seven-degrees] event venue at 7 p.m. Honorees have been chosen from the humanitarians, artists and musicians who bring creativity and vitality to our community.

The 2016 Community Award is being presented to Gregg Abel for more than 35 years of service to greater Laguna Beach. His impressive work includes beautifying our city with world-class residential and commercial design, serving as the former president of the Laguna Chamber of Commerce, actively leading, with his wife Kathy, the growth of the Friendship Shelter, and currently serving as a Board of Director for the Laguna Food Pantry. The award recognizes Gregg’s generosity to this town.
MY HERO’s Community Award 2016 goes to Gregg Abel
Artist heroes include ocean photographer Patsee Ober, and Marinta Skupin, Curator of Education and organizer of the annual Laguna Art Museum’s Art & Nature Festival. Patsee Ober is an underwater tide pool photographer who helps to protect tide pool inhabitants and diverse habitats by exposing this magical world in her vibrant photos to those close to and far from the ocean. She is an active Sawdust Festival participant and an enthusiastic supporter of Laguna Bluebelt. Marinta Skupin became the Curator of Education at Laguna Art Museum in 2012. Skupin creates opportunities for all audiences to engage in meaningful and enjoyable ways with art. The Art & Nature Festival, now going into its 4th year, is one of her most successful projects and her enthusiasm for art is infectious.

In addition, the MY HERO Project will be honoring Laguna Beach Live!, a non-profit organization that strives to increase awareness of and participation in diverse musical experiences, thus enhancing the reputation of Laguna Beach as a music town. Since 2001, Laguna Beach Live! has brought professional music to the community of Laguna Beach in intimate settings, at accessible venues and at affordable prices. Dedicated to artistic excellence and innovation, Laguna Beach Live! presents free chamber music concerts year round, a weeklong Music Festival exploring modern classical music and new composers, special fall and spring concerts, an outdoor summer jazz series and a winter jazz series as well as free educational events for students in the greater Laguna Beach area.

Community music educational non-profit organizations include Give a Beat, founded by Laguna Beach entrepreneur Lauren Segal. The local Music in Common program at the Laguna College of Art + Design, spearheaded by Jason Feddy, Warren Sellars, and Alisa Eisenberg, will be celebrated at the Laguna Hero Fest as well. The music video created in the program by local youth from diverse religious backgrounds, titled “Pray for a Cure,” will be screened during the event.

Zeda Stone and Bryn Mooser from Ryot Foundation, a non-profit entertainment collaborative, will be honored for “The Great Escape Project,” which is a Virtual Reality program to benefit pediatric hospital patients.

There will be live musical performances by guitarist John Heussenstamm with youth vocalist Whitney Winefordner. The evening program will culminate with fun and music by DJ Jamey Madrid.

Media sponsors for the 9th annual Laguna Hero Fest include KX 93.5 radio, and Stu News Laguna. Support for this program is provided by [seven-degrees], the lodging establishments and the City of Laguna Beach.

The Laguna Hero Fest is free and open to the public. It will be held on April 21st at 7 p.m. at [seven-degrees]. All are welcome to enjoy this celebration of heroes and movers and shakers!

To learn more visit: http://myhero.com/laguna RSVP and details online on evite: myhero.com/go/lagunaRSVP