Sumaya Raja

by Francesca from Cedar Grove

Andrew Bernstein once stated, "The hero is valorous because he stands up to every threat directed against the values. Heroism requires conflict." Heroes may try to reach a goal and can inspire others to try harder. They don’t try once but many times to succeed. Some only dream of ideas while others stand out and try to make their dreams come alive. This is a hero. Few may fail, but people still remember them for how hard they worked. Sumaya Raja was born and raised in Yemen and is remembered for her political work.

Sumaya Raja was born in 1954 in the southwest highland of the city Taiz. Sumaya was different than other people. Her Arab family broke many rules, such as going out in public without traditional black veils. At the age of fourteen, she followed her sisters to the United States to study. After that she worked for the BBC and was a broadcaster with her sister, Jamila, in the late 70’s.

Sumaya Raja thinks that women in Yemen do everything such as have babies and house keeping. That is one of the many reasons why she ran as a presidential candidate. Sumaya Raja has inspired many women because women don’t have opportunities and Sumaya did something no other women would do. She has inspired one person especially. Rashida Al-Qaili was so motivated by Raja that she decided to join Sumaya Raja as a presidential candidate on March 15. She had announced her candidacy in December.

Sumaya Raja thinks her political battle will be very difficult. President Saleh of Yemen wants to reverse his decision not to seek re-election and if he does people predict he will win. But people still support Sumaya’s decision. Haria Mashour, who works for Yemen’s monthly newspaper, says, “We have to support her. She has broken the taboo. Not just for women, but for men who are afraid to do that.” Sumaya is going to keep up the good work.

In conclusion, heroes try hard and can be an inspiration to others. They don’t try once but many times to accomplish their dreams. Sumaya Raja is brave, hard working, and a visionary. Raja is brave because she believed in a dream and went after it when no other women would do that. She is also hard working because she is trying hard to succeed in her dream and finally she is a visionary because she has a great idea or inspiration and tries to make it come true. I think Sumaya Raja is an inspiration to everyone.

Sumaya Raja - First woman candidate in Yemen