Tyra Lynn Banks

by Lauren from Ohio

<a href=http://cdn.channel.aol.com/channels/03/05/43b2e0ff-000b2-03c38-400cb8e1>Raising Funds for Hurricane Katrina</a>
Raising Funds for Hurricane Katrina

Coco Chanel once said, “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” Back in the year 1985, young Tyra Lynn Banks was 11 years old and 5’9” She was taller than most of her peers, including her teachers. She became unhappy with her height and lost 20 pounds. Although some admired her skinniness, her friends made fun of it. Even though she was unhappy, before she knew it, Tyra’s height and weight was to her greatest advantage.

Tyra once quoted, “Even woman has a story…” this is hers. On December 4, 1973 in Los Angeles, California Tyra Lynn Banks was born into a family of three already. That included her father and mother, Don and Carolyn, and her older brother, Devin. In 1979, Tyra was 6 years old; her parents divorced and put a struggle on the children. When Tyra’s Mother got remarried, she swore she would never forgive Carolyn. She ended up liking her new step-father and had a good relationship with him. When she entered school, she was known as the Chatterbox at her all African American School. Growing up though was just beginning though for Tyra.

<a href=http://community.tvguide.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/800008609-700014847-700086816-700002565/banks0508.jpg>Tyra</a>
Tyra

Banks soon graduated from Immaculate Heart High School, dreaming to become a director. However, when she was on her way to Loyola Marymount University she got an offer to go to Paris, France and sign with Elite. A scout had seen her modeling in local jobs and persuaded her to come to Paris, which she eventually did.

Attending her first fashion show she was dressed in a cat suit. Tyra was so unique, actually pretending to be a cat, a photographer had to signal her to go. Her modeling career made her have at least five shows a day, causing her energy level to go down. Not only was her energy going down, all the models around her were getting pink eye from using the same eye makeup. After hearing this news Tyra started using her own makeup, as well as for her hair because for one day she had her hair as an afro, flat ironed then crimped, twisted and waxed for dreadlocks and then curled again. She started to take care of herself by learning the ropes of the modeling profession.

As she approached the height of her career, Tyra was busier than ever. Once she had 25 fashion shows for a week. She soon returned to the states where she had already worked with some amazing designers, including Christian Dior, Chanel, and Yves St. Laurent. When she returned Banks was offered a deal to be a cover girl model which she accepted. Not long after that as she became even wealthier she created her own corporation, Ty Girl. Little did she know, a bigger opportunity was ahead as Tyra switched companies to become an actress while still being a model. Appearing on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air launched her acting career. A director recognized her talent and gave her a part in a movie called Higher Learning. Tyra also appeared in A Woman Like That, Elmopalooza, Life-Size, Love Stinks and Coyote Ugly. Amazingly, Banks had achieved what she wanted to achieve.

Tyra Banks was chosen as my hero because of the amazing things she’s achieved. Not only did she achieve her goal, she currently sets new goals for herself. She was the first black woman on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition and created TZONE a program which enhances independence and self esteem in young ladies. When she returned from Paris she invented a scholarship program for young African American Woman. Tyra is a role model for young woman because she puts herself to the test and works hard to accomplish what her goals.