Thomas Alva Edison

by Francisco from Mexico

<a href=http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/science/07/05/science.questions/story.edison.jpg>Thomas Edison</a>
Thomas Edison

My hero is Thomas Edison. His story is of a courageous person. He impressed me because he fights for his goals, since he was a little boy. He was born in Milan, Ohio, USA. "He was taken out of school at age seven, after only three months in the classroom." Some teachers consider him retarded, so he was educated by his mother. "In fact, he showed an early curiosity for explanations of how everything worked, and was especially interested in chemistry."

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/itpic45/Thomas_Edison.JPG>Edison</a>
Edison

At age 12 he went to work selling newspapers and snacks on the road. He began to selling papers at all railroad stations, he learned how to operate the telegraph. His first invention was "an electric vote-recording machine, but legislatures were not interested."

"In 1876 he moved his laboratory to Menlo Park, NJ, where he invented the first phonograph in 1877, and the prototype of the commercially practical incandescent electric light bulb in 1879. His many inventions include a storage battery, a dictaphone and a mimeograph." His effects in the future are helpful and useful because he came interested in the development of a system distribution of electric power from Central Generating Stations. In 1892 his Edison General Electric CO merged with another firm to become General Electric Co, of which he was a mayor stockholder. In fact he made only one true scientific discovery in 1883 the Edison Effect, for which he could see no commercial use but which was the vacuum tube that would become the basis of the radio. Thomas Edison was a genius because he had spent his life inventing many of the devices that shaped the modern world and has helped us in many ways.

Edison influenced me because sometimes I feel like him and he makes me continue with his courage. Someday I wish to invent something like him and to became a famous and rich person.