To Write Love On Her Arms

by Shelby from Reynoldsburg

A hero of mine would be Jamie Tworkowski the founder of To Write Love on Her Arms. In March of 2006 he started this organization from a story. This story was only suppose be a page on Myspace to help him raise money for a friend that was about to go into rehab but turned into an internet phenomenon. They have gone from a computer screen to conferences, programs, campuses, and events all around the country in just a short time.

For the past 12 years they have offered ways of finding help for adolescents. On their webpage they have over 15 numbers that could help an adolescent from committing suicide or harming themselves in general. They offer a campaign for high schools to get involved in and offer awareness. TWLOHA also offers UChapters in colleges by hosting events and meetings which allow them to reach more people.

TWLOHA is my hero because our country right now loses 19 million people to suicide, about 18.8 million people live with depression, and 1 in 10 Americans over the age of 12 suffer from an addiction. They are saving lives on a day to day basis from all those things. They are giving them a chance at the rest of their lives. This organization started just as a Myspace page and ended in helping many people just by letting them know that they are not alone.