Thomas

by D'Aaron

Leader, Believer, and Loyal

What Is A Hero In My Own Words:
A hero in my own words is a leader who stands up for their rights and someone I talk to when I'm feeling down and one who respects himself. Also a leader is a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

Is It Important To Have A Hero?
Yes, I think it's important to have a hero because it is that one person that you look up to. That person that you can rely on when you need something done or when you need courage in your time of need. Someone that never gives up and fights for what they believe in, no matter what the matter is. Someone who is determined to do good, to be a good role model for younger children and for adults.

My Personal Hero Is:
My personal hero is my cousin Thomas. He's a war veteran who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan for a prolonged time without seeing his family or kids. He's a good man of God who devotes his time to reading the bible to become a better man. He coaches football to the youth and teaches them about God and how he saves the earth and how they should strive to be perfect in his word but he also says "Nobody is perfect" no matter how good you are. My cousin fits my definition of a hero because he went away to serve his country and came back in one piece. He never gave up and preserved through the pain and hardship.

Thomas should be inducted in the Hero Hall of Fame because he is a leader, believer, and he is loyal. He is a leader because when he was away at training he was a leader and not a follower. He always strived to be first in his class and he finished at the top with a lot of accolades. He's a believer because he believed that he would make it out alive and come back to his wife and 4 children who he loves with all his life. Also he is loyal because he never once thought about giving up. He always told me "Never give up on your dreams". He never went AWOL and never thought about giving up on his country because he loves America and he's proud to be a American.

Summary About My Hero:
My hero's hero is Muhammad Ali because he stood up for what he believed in and he never cared what people said or thought. My hero feared dying once when he told me he was on a dangerous mission and he was lying in a tent thinking, "Man I might die tomorrow. Lord protect me". I asked my hero what was his funniest memory in the army was. He said when Kurtis Blow (Great Founder of Rap) came to perform for them while at base. He said it was amazing. In his spare time in the army he told me that he watched movies and read so he could keep up on things in life. The only thing he told me that he regretted was leaving the army early because he said that he could have done more. In my hero teen years he was a bit of a hassle. He told me he did stuff like drive when he wasn't supposed to and did a lot of foolish things that weren't good. He told me this so I could have a better aspect of life and not to do childish things. My hero got saved on a Sunday in 1999 at 19 years old with my cousin, soon to be his wife. The day he found out he was coming home he was happier than ever because he was coming home to see and be with his family again. My hero has 4 kids. . They are one of the best pieces of his life which he admires the most. He told me he loves being a dad. Also I asked my hero, do any of the army games resemble what happens in real war? He told me no because when you die you can't press the responds button like you can in Call of Duty. He said when you die, you die.

I respect this adult because he is special to me. He has been a father figure since I can remember. He was the one who told me no matter what, I'm going to the NFL (National Football League). Even to this day he tells me that. He makes me want to become a better person and player on and off the field and the track.

ARMY.MIL - Army Website

Go to Army.Mil to learn more about the army and the many opportunities.

Dungy, Tony. Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices, and Priorities of a Winning Life . Tyndale House Publishers, May 22, 2008. 352