Tycho Brahe

by Brodin from Calgary

a web of his characteristics (my histro (i made it))
a web of his characteristics (I made it)

"Now it is quite clear to me that there are no solid spheres in the heavens, and those that have been devised by the authors to save the appearances, exist only in the imagination." I chose this book because I am interested in astronomy and came across it in the library. It's a biography about the life of the astronomer Tycho Brahe. It's 144 pages long, but the text is small. He lived from 1546 and died in 1601. The book was written in 2003 by William J. Boerst. If you like astronomy and history and a biography in one bundle, you would like this book.

Tycho Brahe Portrait (I drew it. (I drew it. (Brodin)))
Tycho Brahe Portrait (I drew it.)

It is a biography about his life. He was a famous astronomer in the 15th century. I came across this book at the library, I am very interested in astronomy. He was born in Knudstrup castle in Helsingborg, Denmark. On December 14, 1546. He was adopted by his uncle and aunt but later moved back with his real parents. He had one sister and went to school in a Catholic school near his home. They learned mathematics, music and other languages, but outside of school Tycho was interested in astronomy. He switched to the University of Copenhagen where he spent 3 years before he went to Leipzig University in Germany for a year. He then went to Wittenberg Germany for more schooling. While in Germany he got in a fight, resulting in him losing his nose from the sword fight. He then had it replaced with a gold and silver one. Nicholas Copernicus and Aristotle influenced the way he thought about life. He dreamed of solving the solar systems mysteries, which may foreshadow why he became an astronomer. But his family refused him to become an astronomer so he moved away and fulfiled his dream.

tycho using an astronomical called a crosstaff (i drew it ())
Tycho using an astronomical called a crosstaff (I drew it.)

He had many challenges in his life such as becoming the "ruler" of a small island called Hven, but he overcame it by consulting the king (who he was good friends with). He went to school and had a good education. He was serious and devoted but also was humble. He did have anger issues and that interfered with the people liking him, and eventually he was fired from his job. He had to go back to his old house to continue his work. His laboratory is still standing today and it is a national historic site.

I was surprised how much he had discovered in his life. I would ask him, what instruments do you use to observe the sky? If you could change anything you did, what would it be? What was your goal to discover? I wouldn't want to be this person's child, because I would most likely be kicked out of my home and die of the plague. I liked the book because it gave a lot of information. I learned I am lucky to live in the 21st century. Well, if you like astronomy, complicated words and history, then this book is for you. I chose the right book. I find him a very important person for setting our world further.

wikipedia - to learn even more about him and his accomplishments
gallileo project - more about his writings
tycho brahe biography - more about him