Tonna Cantrell

by Shantara from Spanish Fork

When someone thinks of a hero, what's the first thing that comes to mind? An actor, a musician? Someone famous, someone obscure, someone who lives without rules, or someone who gives of themselves freely? A hero is anyone we can look up to, rely on, or believe in. To me, a hero is someone close to your heart. And no-one is as close to my heart as my grandmother.

Selflessness is a quality rare and to be admired in the human race. The best we can do is put others before ourselves, and that is exactly what makes my grandmother so special to me. My grandmother has always done her best to care for her family. It's her greatest weakness, and her greatest strength-- despite her kids messing up and making the same mistakes over and over agin, she still reaches out to help. She's given time, blood, sweat, and tears for her family, doing everything she can to make them happy. It astonishes me how she can give and give and still have more to try and offer.

Her selflessness when it comes to me has been boundless. She taught me right from wrong, protected me, and loved me. She gave me the teachings that really matter in life, and I found a mother in her when my own couldn't give me what I needed. She has been a guiding star in my life, a glue to hold the peices together. When I needed someone most, she was the one that was there-- she's the first person anyone in our family will call when they have a bad day.

My grandmother doesn't rescue kittens, or fight fires. She does the best she can to make her family happy. When anyone needs help or is in trouble, no matter the hour, she is a rescuer. She's a shoulder to cry on and a home to come to. My family has been truly blessed to have an angel in our midst-- I don't think anyone realizes how much she does, including me. She has played an immense part in forming who I am, and I'm truly grateful to have such a wonderful person to look up to. She is my hero.