Tyler Doughtie

by Heather from Ocean Springs

If you've ever seen the movie, Letters to God, you've heard of Tyler Doughtie. But he wasn't just a kid in a movie, this kid was real, with real cancer. He is my hero for so many reasons.

Tyler played soccer and was a normal kid, but when he was 8 years old, he was diagnosed with cancer. Most people would feel like their life was over and be depressed if they found out they had cancer, but Tyler didn't. He acted completely normal. He still played soccer and went to school, but everyday, he would write a letter to God. He would tell them about all the things that have been happening to him lately, and what he hoped would happen soon.

Soon, people found out about his letters. Some kids made fun of him for it, but he inspired so many others to write letters to God. Eventually, he had inspired his entire community to write letters. In fact, they made a special mailbox specifically for letters to God. However, Tyler never got to see the changes in his community because, tragically, the cancer had spread and gotten worse and he passed away, but I will never forget Tyler because it was because of him that so many people became closer to God.