Thomas Edison

by Grace from Leawood

In Milan, Ohio, February 11, 1847, a boy named Thomas Alva Edison was born. He grew up to be an amazing inventor that helped people around the world and showed true characteristics of an American hero.

When Thomas was a child, he was taught by his mother. His father was a very talented trader, all over America he sold goods and bought them. When Edison was 12, he went to work selling simple things like fruit and candy. In his teens, Edison was challenged by losing his hearing and becoming deaf. But this didn't stop Edison from his amazing success and bright future.

His first invention was the automatic telegraph repeater in 1864. He went on making new and amazing inventions that sold successfully. With this money he decided to make his own factory in Newark, N.J. As the inventions grew and improved to things like typewriters and telegraph transmitters, he opened another factory in Menlo Park New Jersey. As time passed he made many staple inventions, like batteries and the first central electric light power plant. 

Even with all his success he still faced hardships. His hearing would always be a struggle in his life, but another issue was the public. Since he was known as a leading figure, people often took his comments very seriously. Important public issues became very hard for him to even give advice about. You could compare him to a modern day superstar. He overcame these issues by dressing humbly and being silly for the cameras.

You may ask why any of these things make Thomas a hero. Edison is a hero for many reasons. He saved a life of the child, the child's father then began to be his teacher. He served our country in World War II by making weapons and defense items. He never gave up on any of his inventions because he knew they would help people.  I think these examples prove his perseverance, patience, loyalty, humbleness, and basic desire to serve the greater good. Thomas Edison is a great heroic figure in American history and will always be an important hero.