Thomas Edison

by Hope from Honolulu

Thomas Edison is my hero. He attempted to do things that other people wouldn't have thought of. Thomas Edison also made many inventions that we use modern versions of today. He was a brilliant man.

Thomas always persisted and gathered data through all of his senses. He was very young when he tried his very first experiment. He was fascinated as he watched a hen turn her eggs as her chicks hatched. Thomas did exactly as the hen did, but failed to get the eggs to hatch. Upset and sad, Thomas learned that only hens know when to turn their eggs. When Thomas Edison grew older, he constantly worked on experiments despite his failed experiment with the eggs. Thomas thought that if he mixed special chemicals and medicine, people could fly. Thomas tried it on his friend, but instead of flying his friend got a terrible stomachache. I would like to be persistent like him in school.

Thomas was very smart as a child. Thomas got a job selling fruits and vegetables. Thomas was pretty smart! He sold six hundred dollars worth of fruits and vegetables when he was only twelve! After his experiences with small inventions, Thomas tried bigger experiments like inventing the light bulb. Thomas made one of the first telephones too! I would like to be a smart person like Thomas because I would be able to go to college and get a degree.

Thomas was very famous as an adult. Thomas was an adult when he invented the phonograph, printer, light bulb and vote recorder! Thomas Edison became famous because of all of his inventions. People were thrilled when they tested out his creations. Many people called Thomas a wizard. I would like to be like Thomas Edison and be a famous inventor.

One of Thomas Edison's quotes that was shared at his funeral was, "Opportunity is hard to spot because it's dressed in overalls and jeans." Thomas would always say there is no substitute for hard work. He was smart, perseverant, and helpful. Thomas is a good example of a hero for others to follow. When I grow up, I would like to be like Thomas Edison. Wouldn't you?