Thomas Alva Edison

by Reid from Honolulu

My hero is Thomas Alva Edison. He was an inventor of many things. Edison lived from 1847-1931. He even had a record of 1,093 patents for his various inventions! When Tom was 3 years old, he learned how a duck hatches an egg by watching a duck at his family's farm. This inspired him to try to invent things.

Thomas Alva Edison is my hero because he was a great inventor. He "invented" or improved the light bulb. Other inventors tried before Edison, but it didn't work. He kept trying different metals for the filament and finally found the correct metal. Because of Thomas Alva Edison, we have light bulbs today.

Thomas Edison is my hero because he was a good person. When he saw a girl on the train tracks, he pulled her to safety while a train was coming. Tom risked his own life to save the girl!

I think Thomas Edison was smart. He found ways to make life easier. He invented the light bulb so people could have artificial light. Tom also designed the telegraph so people could communicate long distances through the use of a code.

Thomas Alva Edison is my hero because he was a great person. He invented many things. That is why he is my hero!

Beals, Gerald. "The Biography of Thomas Edison." [Online] Available http://thomasedison.com/biography.html. 1999.

Sabin, Louis. Thomas Alva Edison Young Inventor. United States of America: Troll Associates, 1983. 47