Terry Fox

by Jessica from Bradford

MY HERO STORY

There was a man who ran across Canada to find a cure, and inspired us all. His name is Terry Fox. He was born on July 28 1958 in Winnipeg Manitoba. He lived with his mom Betty, dad Rolly and 2 brothers Fred and Darrel plus a sister named Judith. As a kid he would never give up even when he was building blocks. Every time they toppled over he would keep trying until he mastered it. When Terry grew up he joined the basketball team. He played basketball but not very many  people picked him because he was too small. Terry wanted to be the best. He got up extra early to practice. His parents Rolly and Betty didn't like that. Everyday when he came home he was very tired. After a few months he felt a pain in his right knee. He tried ignoring it but it became unbearable. He and his family went to the hospital and found out he had Osteogenic Sarcoma. At the age of 18 he had get his leg amputated. He was scared but he knew it was for his own good. When he was in the hospital his basketball coach gave him a magazine, it said a man to complete the New York marathon.

After seeing the children in the hospital he started to think about The Marathon Of Hope. Every day he ran 5 miles to practice. He got lots of blisters but every time he thought of the sick children he got courage. When he thought about the children he could understand their pain so he felt he had to continue. At last he started his journey called the Marathon Of Hope. He ran and he ran, even when it was raining. He continued no matter what. He met multiple people such as Bobby Orr. People understood what he was doing so he got free food. After 2 years his vision became blurry. He didn't care. Terry kept on running. He started coughing but he thought it was just a flu. When he was running he started coughing more. Eventually it became hard to run. When it got worse he finally went to the doctor. He found out that the cancer had spread and now he had cancer in his lungs.

Unfortunately he passed away on June 28 1981, surrounded by love. His family was upset. Before he died he said "Even if I don't make it I want you to continue". That is why we now still continue. But because of him he raised over 500000000 dollars.

I think Terry's stubborn because when his mom said he couldn't do it he did it anyway. To me Terry did the right thing. Although he was going through pain he continued to raise money for cancer research. Terry is very caring because he thought about others before himself. That is how he thought of the purpose of the Marathon of Hope. Terry inspires me because he tried to save many people's lives by running across Canada and getting donations for cancer research. I did my Terry Fox Run for a cure. Nobody would do what Terry did. He didn't do it to become famous but for a cure.