Terry Fox

by Victor from Bradford

Terry Fox
Terry Fox

TERRY FOX, THE GREAT CANADIAN HERO!

TERRY FOX WAS born in Winnipeg, Manitoba,in 1958, July 28th. He lived with his mother, Betty, father, Rolly, brother, Fred and Darrell and his sister Judith. He went to Simon Fraser University. He got a cancer called osteogenic sarcoma at the age of 18, he was diagnosed with it, and had to have his leg cut off (amputated) 6 inches above his knee, when he saw the little kids with cancer, when he went home, he said: mom, I'm going to run across Canada". His mom said that it was a crazy idea and she didn't want him to go because "I don't want to lose you again!" Terry was stubborn and wanted to go and help others.

He started running in Newfoundland, Canada and his goal was to reach British Columbia, and his other goal was to collect 1 dollar from every Canadian. He raised over 25 million dollars (25,000,000) it took him 143 to run 3,339 miles, (5,374 km).

Terry Fox is courageous because he never gave up, optimistic because he always looks on the bright side, caring because he doesn't just care about himself, he cares about other people with cancer.

Terry Fox died because the cancer had spread to his lungs. Now millions of schools around the world do the Terry Fox run and now we have raised over 500,000,000 million dollars for cancer research. Terry Fox inspires me because he has helped a lot of people. His funeral was on July 2nd 1981. He wis considered the second most important person in Canadian history.