Terry Fox

by Sydney from San Diego

It takes many months of sweat and pain to train for just one 26.3 mile marathon. Now imagine running a marathon a day for 143 consecutive days, with only one leg. It may sound impossible, but cancer stricken amputee Terry Fox pushed himself to do exactly that each and every day. Terrance Stanley Fox was born on July 28, 1958 in Winnipeg, Canada. Terry Fox, a young athlete, played for his college basketball team at Simon Fraser University. When he reached 18 years of age he felt a sharp, unbearable pain in his right knee, that the doctors later found to be bone cancer; it resulted in an amputation of his right leg. Terry decided that he couldn’t let his cancer or amputation bring him down, so he came up with, what his mother thought, the craziest idea ever. He would run across Canada to raise money and awareness for cancer. Terry Fox, one of the most astonishing Canadians, proves himself a true hero from his courage and ability to make a difference in the world.

Terry Fox- Marathon of Hope (http://www.garth.ca/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/terry-fox1.jpg)

Most Americans do not know of Terry, but the courage and determination he demonstrated to never give up really made him shine. While on the road, Terry would often say: “I had a dream last night that I would run across Canada. I didn’t even know if I’d be able to walk but it was something that never left me, that dream, that fantasy”(Terry Fox). Though Terry doubted his ability to walk again he still knew that he had to complete his dream for himself and to represent others with cancer. Even with an artificial leg, his strong-willed mind and determination aided him in making his courageous run across Canada. His best friend, Doug Alward, later told interviewers how Terry would not give up: “It didn’t matter if it was snowing, pouring rain, 90 degrees Fahrenheit heat. He had to do that marathon everyday”(Doug Alward). No matter the condition, Terry knew he needed to continue and strive for the end. Not only did he never have it in his mind to evade, but he admitted courage to continue pushing through, regardless of the poor weather or any obstacle that got in his way. Even with cancer and one artificial leg that was no excuse for Terry. His courageous and driven heart is just one way in which he represents himself as a champion and a star.

At just 21 years of age, Terry possessed the ability to bring about change in the world like no other grown man could. From Kate Cline’s “On the Road Again”, a startling statistic about the marathon of hope is stated: “Terry Fox’s marathon of hope raised 24 million dollars for cancer research; his foundation has raised 400 million since then.” Terry raised a huge amount of money to help find a cure for the horrendous disease that overtakes millions of lives, including Terry’s. His personality and perseverance created change in the world by inspiring many to support him and donate for the cause. Isadore Sharp, one of the founders of the annual Terry Fox Run said: “We will ask every city and town across Canada to join in on the same day so that you will be running in our hearts and minds every year until the battle is won. Your courage and determination are an inspiration to us all” (Isadore Sharp-Terry Fox Run founder). Terry helped people realize that cancer is a battle that cannot be fought unless others join and help; which happens to be exactly what Mr. Sharp did. Terry was able to make a difference in the way that people like Mr. Sharp continued on living out Terry’s dream to find a cure. Through Terry’s heroic actions he ended up changing this world for the better.

There aren’t many people like Terry that have the heart and the pure courage to accomplish what he did. For cancer research Terry did much more than just run, he sent a global message that you just have to believe in yourself and you can make all the difference in the world. “The whole nation wept the passing of this 22 year old who had inspired Canada with his will to succeed, his drive, his self sacrifice and, most of all, his willingness to suffer for his dream” (William L Johnson and Annabel M Johnson). Terry is truly inspirational for teaching people to never give up and to follow their hearts. As Terry once said: “Somewhere the hurting must stop.” His inspirational words support the idea that even the smallest things can make a difference in the cancer world, and we can’t ever give up hope. Terry Fox is truly and inspiration and a hero to us all.

Terry Fox Statue (http://www.sfu.ca/terryfox/images/statue.gif)

Works Consulted

Cline, Kate. “On the road again.” Runner’s World Sept. 2008: 24. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 30 Apr. 2010.

Johnson, William L, and Annabel M. Johnson. “Canadian hero sets place for young people.” Education. V114. N3 (Spring 1994): p434(2). Student Resource Center – Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 23 Apr. 2010.

Lakhi, Suman. “Terry Fox remains Canada’s greatest hero.” Canadian Heroes. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 May 2010. http://www.snn-rdr.ca/old/june99/june99/hero_suman.html.

Summerhill, Frances. “Remembering Terry Fox.” The Sudbury Star. Sun Media, 210. Web. 12 May 2010.

Tanner, Mike. “The fox files. (Canadian Hero, Terry Fox).” Kayak – Canada’s History Magazine for kids Aug.- Sept. 2005: 14+. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 2 May 2010.

“Terry Fox ESPN.” Youtube.web.12. May 2010. < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJGTICTIUPA.>

Terry Fox Foundation - A single dream. A world of hope. - Terry Fox official website
Terry Fox ESPN - The story of Terry Fox
- How Terry is an inspiration to others [would not load]