Terry Fox

by Lejla from Bradford

There once was a man who wanted to make a cure for cancer. His name was Terry Fox. He was a great Canadian. In fact he was a superhero. He wanted to run across Canada. He did not just want to run across Canada, Terry Fox wanted to raise $1 dollar from each Canadian. Terry Fox was born on July 28th 1958 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. His mother's name was Betty and his father's name was Rolly. His brothers' names were Fred and Darrell and his youngest sibling was Judith.

Terry Fox loved basketball. One day he had a strange pain in his right leg, right below his knee cap. It got worse and worse each week but Terry was still optimistic to play in his basketball games. Then Terry's knee got so bad that he could not even stand up when his family took him to the hospital. His doctor had really bad news. The doctor said he was diagnosed with primary knee cancer. Terry's eyes started to fill with tears when the doctor said he would have to remove his leg. Terry Fox was really sad. He was thinking about how to play basketball since he was the captain of the basketball team after doing all that training.

After a year of chemotherapy, Terry Fox thought about the kids that were dying from cancer. He showed empathy because he knew how the kids felt in the hospital. Then Terry Fox decided to run a Marathon of Hope so Terry Fox trained and trained.Tthen he decided to ask Doug to come along with his R.V. Terry Fox started with a whole lot of support from his family and friends. They cheered and cheered and Terry ran and ran "with one leg muscle, bone and skin / one fiberglass and steel'' he ran in wind and rain. He never stopped no matter what. No matter what was happening around him and no matter how much pain he was in he just never stopped. Terry Fox ran through the highways and the traffic. He ran through the land of Newfoundland. Each day Terry Fox woke up and he marked exactly where he had stopped the last day.

When Terry Fox was running he had a strange cough. At that time he knew that the cancer had spread and it had gone to his lungs. That's when Terry Fox had to go home and do some more treatment. After 6 months of treatment Terry started again but by the time he reached Thunder Baym while Terry Fox was running, he collapsed. That's when the Marathon of Hope ended. Terry died on June 28th 1981. People in Canada were really sad but they they thought that they needed to continue the Marathon of Hope. So every year we still continue raising money for the Terry Fox Run to remember a very special Canadian hero.