Terry Fox

by Matthew from Calgary

Terry Fox web (I made it (I did))
Terry Fox web (I made it (I did))

The reason I chose Terry Fox as my hero is because he made it possible for millions of people around the world to live even though they have the deadly disease known as cancer. Terry Fox created an event called the Marathon of Hope and trained for it for many years. The Marathon of Hope was designed by Terry and he kept it a secret from everyone he knew even his mom and dad. The plan for the marathon was that Terry was supposed to run from Newfoundland and Labrador all the way to his home in B.C. Sadly he only made it to Thunder Bay, Ontario. Terry ran 143 days & 5373 kilometers (3,339 miles).

Terry Fox Picture (I made it (I did))
Terry Fox Picture (I made it (I did))

Terry Fox was born July 24, 1958 Winnipeg Manitoba.. Terry's real name was Terrance Stanley Fox and was a great athlete. He was a distance runner and also played basketball for his high school in Port Coquitlum, British Columbia and Simon Fraser University. Terry had his right leg amputated in 1977 after he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. He also played Wheel Chair basketball in Vancouver. Terry passed away on June 28th 1981 with his family supporting him.

I made it (I did)
I made it (I did)

Terry Fox raised over 500 million Canadian dollars, Wow. He raised the most money for cancer research in the world. Terry was famous even though he never wanted to be and is known worldwide for saving millions of people worldwide, isn't that amazing. No one in the world could be as amazing as Terry Fox or have as much determination as him. The Terry Fox Run is still held every year and is the world's largest one day fund raiser for cancer and it involves 60 countries. Terry is the youngest person to be named a Companion of The Order of Canada. He won the Lou Marsh Award as top sportsman in Canada in 1980. He has schools and parks named after him. He was awarded the Victoria Cross. He was voted Canada's top newsmaker for 1980 and 1981.

Terrance Stanley Fox was truly an amazing person and barely ever looked down. Despite losing his leg to cancer, he made it a positive by creating his Marathon of Hope. Even today he is saving lives through the Terry Fox Run. His body has died but his spirit lives on in every human being knowing the name and legacy of Terry Fox. So in the end Terry Fox is the best and will always be the best hero worldwide.