Terry Fox

by Vanessa from Calgary

Terry Fox Web ( I made it)
Terry Fox Web ( I made it)

I chose Terry Fox because he believed that you can make a difference. The things that he did were and still are miracles. He had a dream to run across Canada and to raise awareness about cancer. He was also hoping to raise money to fight the disease.

terry fox picture (i made it (i did))
terry fox picture (i made it (i did))

Terry Fox was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba on July 28 1958. Terry was raised in Port Coquintlam, British Columbia. He was very athletic from a young age. When he was in grade 8 Terry was rated 19th out of 19th on his basketball team. For that first season he was on the court for approximately one minute. This did not affect Terry and did not let it get to him, for just 2 years later Terry was the starting player on his team. By the time he graduated he became one of 2 athletes to receive the schools highest athletic award. Terry knew that aches and pains are common in athlete's lives. At the end of his first year of university there was a new pain in his knee. One morning Terry woke up to see that he could no longer stand up. A week later Terry found out that it was not just an ache; he had a malignant tumor. His leg would have to be cut off 6 inches above the knee. The night before his operation a former coach brought Terry a magazine featuring a man who ran a marathon after a similar operation.

I drew it (I did it)
I drew it (I did it)

Terry accomplished what he set out to do. He wanted to make Canadians aware of cancer and he wanted to raise as much money for cancer research as possible. Terry Fox was a caring person because after what he witnessed in cancer wards at the hospital he decided to help in his own words. Somewhere the hurting must stop. And then he had an idea to run a marathon of hope in the hope of finding a cure for cancer and stop the suffering of others. In his athletic accomplishments through high school and university Terry loved all sports such as basketball, rugby, soccer, diving, and baseball. But most of all he ran the average distance of one marathon for 143 consecutive days. That's how he ran his marathon of hope, with one real leg and one prosthetic leg every day for 26 miles. Terry Fox was a risk taking person because he put his own health and body at risk while running the marathon to help others. One of his many accomplishments and maybe the biggest one is that Marathon of Hope is still running every year all over Canada and is still raising millions of dollars for a cure for cancer. I think if you are called a hero you have to be someone very special. And you have to do things that not a lot of people would consider doing.

Terry Fox had died one month before his 23rd birthday. His running came to an end in Thunder Bay, Ontario, when he became very ill. His friend one day noticed that Terry was having hard time breathing. The doctors confirmed that he had lung cancer. For ten months Terry battled with the disease that left him in pain till the end of his life. Terry died with his family beside him on June 28th 1981 at 4:30 am, which was also his favorite time to start his run during the marathon. Terry Fox in my opinion was a true Canadian hero. He went to his limit to fulfill the dreams of all his friends that he made in the cancer clinics. He gave his life to those people and died for them. For his achievements in short life that he lived, he was recognized with the Order of Canada and in 2005 a special edition of a Canadian dollar among many others.

For the essay about my Canadian hero I used bibliography called works cited, which is information provided by the internet. There are many internet sites that inform us about amazing accomplishments done by Terry Fox.
Canadian Authors: There are many books and information about life of Terry Fox that have been written.
Some of the authors and their books are Douglas Coupland. The book's name that he wrote is Terry.
Other authors are Maxine Trottier that wrote Terry Fox: A Story of Hope
Leslie Scrivener that wrote Terry Fox: His Story, and there is an ESPN film about Terry Fox.

Wikipedia - Information about Terry Fox
The Canadian Encyclopedia - Terry Fox article